Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactley does clutch chatter feel/sound like on a bike.

I'm getting this rata tata tata when I let out on the clutch about half way throu the engaging process, then it goes quiet as the clutch is fully engaged.. also when it warms up not as bad. some times not at all.

I've tried adjusting it several times still get it.

·
Banned
71 Posts
What exactley does clutch chatter feel/sound like on a bike.

I'm getting this rata tata tata when I let out on the clutch about half way throu the engaging process, then it goes quiet as the clutch is fully engaged.. also when it warms up not as bad. some times not at all.

I've tried adjusting it several times still get it.
Is this on a Sporty ???

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Banned
71 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention 2009 dyna low rider
If the clutch was burnt and the fiber plates get glazed , it'll act like that . You could notice it by the smell of the oil when you change it .

Only other way I know of , is to look at the clutch plates themselves . If they are not too bad, you can use some fine wet&dry to break the glaze with .

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the clutch was burnt and the fiber plates get glazed , it'll act like that . You could notice it by the smell of the oil when you change it .

Only other way I know of , is to look at the clutch plates themselves . If they are not too bad, you can use some fine wet&dry to break the glaze with .
Thanks there was a smell in the oil after I got it back from the indy that worked on it a yr. ago(installed new compensator) it's been troublesome ever since.

I'm working on it myself from now on. I'll tear it apart over the winter or early spring. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
If it started after the new compensator was installed. You might want to check if it was installed right.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I disassembled comp. and reinstalled it. Only thing I question was the absence of two spacers next to the big spring and rotor. other than that it was ok.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK disassembled primary removed SE compensator, clutch and tensioner comp looked ok minus those two spacers so I downloaded directions and installed according to directions.

All Bering's are good. The chatter was coming from tensioner I got it to adjust by using screw driver with some force (the belt was sloppy) Replaced tensioner with 39929-06B upgrade. Its back together we'll see in the spring. I left the clutch alone because the noise would happen while in neutral plus all looks good with clutch. I'm certain the noise was coming off the tensioner.

2009 dyna low

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
about 500 mi. bike is running great minimal vibration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts