Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Barnett extra plate clutch in my 2006 this past weekend and made a couple of silly mistakes that extended the install way beyond the time I thought it would take.

1. When removing the primary cover, I forgot to loosen the chain tensioner. While I eventually found that out, I sliced a finger open trying to gently pry off the case.

2. It took me forever to find the retaining ring for the spring plate once I had it compressed. Once I found it it only required 15 seconds to get off.

3. Barnett ships the kit with two extra friction plates. When I got to them and realized I was out of room in the shell, I had to remove all of the plates to measure and count them. I forgot to count during the install, assuming incorrectly that all parts would be used.

Barnett plates are close to the thickness of H-D OEM parts, so the same number of plates are used.

The ONE smart thing I did was to use an air wrench to remove the primary cover -- didn't have to sit there all day spinning a ratchet.

Once I got it back together, the bike purred beautifully with the new clutch. The rivets were starting to loosen in the stock clutch (18,500) miles, so I did this in time to prevent a disaster.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Sounds like you and I have the same kind of luck. Difference is that yours worked when you finished.

·
Registered
39,471 Posts
Barnett plates are close to the thickness of H-D OEM parts, so the same number of plates are used.
Should use one of the extra friction plate and two steel plates to replace the stock brass riveted spring plate.

·
Banned
85 Posts
ha ha .. sounds like my job...got extra plates and shoved them in there...works real smooth,... but 20 guys have said (darn, thats the hardest clutch lever I ever pulled) I should fix that some day...I did have 85,000 on the original clutch

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should use one of the extra friction plate and two steel plates to replace the stock brass riveted spring plate.

I did. The kit is for 1991 and up Sportsters. I would imagine that earlier Sportys may have had more plates in the clutch.

Barnett has an unusual arrangement for the first friction plate. It is conspicuously smaller than the other plates and has a flat and a dished steel ring that are mounted before the friction plate.

The steel rings ride directly inside the first friction plate, with the dished plate facing out.

If the early bikes did not run more friction plates, then I may have just got a miscounted set. Don't know for sure.

·
Registered
827 Posts
so glad you are on top of this. I can sleep well tonight...

Any chance you can tackle the federal budget next?

burn.....

·
Banned
85 Posts
so glad you are on top of this. I can sleep well tonight...

Any chance you can tackle the federal budget next?
Yes, actually. If I had the power, I do think I could do a better job than the folks doing it right now. Anything else I can help with? And just for your FYI (and my added enjoyment..) we never miscount clutch plates. IE (clutch baskets)......Just sending a little warmth back to ya.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back on topic. The extra 2 clutch plates are not needed. Using the same number of friction discs and plates as a stock clutch, and replacing the riveted plate with two steel plates and a friction plate, you end up with a clutch within factory dimensions (thickness wise), that functions perfectly.

I put enough mileage with WOT acceleration this weekend to confirm this. No first gear clunk, smooth clutch.

·
Registered
39,471 Posts
:thumb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts