Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I noticed last year that the clutch lever rattles when my hand is not on it and I changed out the anti rattle spring (#9) without a lot of difference. Is it common for the pivot bushing (#13) to wear out and cause rattling also?

·
Banned
71 Posts

I noticed last year that the clutch lever rattles when my hand is not on it and I changed out the anti rattle spring (#9) without a lot of difference. Is it common for the pivot bushing (#13) to wear out and cause rattling also?
You could change out the bushing, but I don't think it'll help any . Is the handle a MoCo part or a aftermarket part. The aftermarket handles are, at times thinner, so they will rattle up&down .

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Could be the bushing. The anti rattle clip fixed mine.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bend the spring over a pencil to increase the tension on it is all I have for you ...sorry . :dunno
This sounds like a silly question since the design looks intuitive but which way is the anti-rattle clip supposed to be installed, curved side up (against lever) or down (away from lever)? It looks like it would naturally be installed the latter so that where it screws in would sit flush but when I put it in that way initially it crimped and crushed when the clutch lever was released. That might be a result of too much slop in the bracket or bushing.

OK, this pic shows it installed the way I first put it in but as mentioned it got crimped between the lever and braket

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
The little tab gets put so it bends down as in the picture. You need to be careful that you don't break it or bend it up.

·
Banned
71 Posts
This sounds like a silly question since the design looks intuitive but which way is the anti-rattle clip supposed to be installed, curved side up (against lever) or down (away from lever)? It looks like it would naturally be installed the latter so that where it screws in would sit flush but when I put it in that way initially it crimped and crushed when the clutch lever was released. That might be a result of too much slop in the bracket or bushing.

OK, this pic shows it installed the way I first put it in but as mentioned it got crimped between the lever and braket
As it is in the picture is the correct way . :)

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Right, I had found that pic after I posted and then added it. Like I said though, when properly installed it got caught and crushed when working and releasing the lever. Something is amiss
Have you dropped bike on that side, may have damaged bracket where lever fits in. Or its worn out internally from normal wear. Mine shows wear where the anti rattle clip slides against it.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you dropped bike on that side, may have damaged bracket where lever fits in. Or its worn out internally from normal wear. Mine shows wear where the anti rattle clip slides against it.
No, it hasn't dropped in the time that I had it anyway. There isn't any visual indication of damage. The other side looked like the mirror and grip nicked something before I got it though but the only damage was to those. Each have since been replaced.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Right, I had found that pic after I posted and then added it. Like I said though, when properly installed it got caught and crushed when working and releasing the lever. Something is amiss
Somethings not right, without seeing the setup, it's hard to tell you exactly what it is ......sorry . :dunno

Go to a "Bike Night" and ask around, some one is bound to have pity on you and lend a hand . :)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I pulled it apart and checked the bushing, there's a little slop in it. I flipped the antirattle clip around and being flattened a bit it doesn't catch or crimp anymore and stopped the rattle. The lever is still not solid but better. The new bushing when it gets here may alleviate that. The bracket looks fine, the pin is solid in it and it doesn't appear widened so I won't need to replace that.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
I pulled it apart and checked the bushing, there's a little slop in it. I flipped the antirattle clip around and being flattened a bit it doesn't catch or crimp anymore and stopped the rattle. The lever is still not solid but better. The new bushing when it gets here may alleviate that. The bracket looks fine, the pin is solid in it and it doesn't appear widened so I won't need to replace that.
A little grease on all parts makes things smooth.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I replaced the bushing and it made it considerably more solid. I decided to order a new one for the brake lever too since that too has some slop, but no rattle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts