Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to add some fluid to my clutch master cyclinder on my relatively new to me 09 saxon. How can I tell if the fluid presently in the master clylinder is DOT 3 or 4 or DOT 5 as I know i cannot mix 3/4 with 5. Is there a way to tell or should i just add some DOT4 as i do not know what is in there presently? Running a hydraulic clutch with a primo rivera 6 speed RHS tranny thanks

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Look in manual or contact mfgr.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do not have a manual and do not know who made the cylinder however I have found through other sources two methods of checking what type of fluid it is. 1) take a few drops from the master cylinder and drop them in a glass of water and mix. If it mixes with the water then it is DOT3/4 and if it does mix then DOT5
2) mix some of the fluid rom the cylindr with some new DOT3/4 or DOT5. whichever one it mixes with is the type you have in the cylinder

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Good luck.

·
Wayward Son
23,371 Posts
Do not have a manual and do not know who made the cylinder however I have found through other sources two methods of checking what type of fluid it is. 1) take a few drops from the master cylinder and drop them in a glass of water and mix. If it mixes with the water then it is DOT3/4 and if it does mix then DOT5
2) mix some of the fluid rom the cylindr with some new DOT3/4 or DOT5. whichever one it mixes with is the type you have in the cylinder
Those test methods actually do make sense.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Reread the last part of number 1. If it mixes its DOT3/4 and if it mixes it DOT5. That tells us a lot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts