Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a lot of problems with my wrist. It is very painful to pull the clutch on my Sportster. I am being pimped out to doctors and the consensus seems to be arthritis. I really don't want to give up riding.
Is there any sort of hydraulic or foot controlled options so I don't have to begin my new rocking chair hobby??

·
Retired citizen
24,161 Posts
I've had good results with the EZ Pull kits like the Muller Power Clutch system. Up to a 40% easier clutch handle pull. The Lite Clutch kit costs $34.99 from J&P's.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I've had good results with the EZ Pull kits like the Muller Power Clutch system. Up to a 40% easier clutch handle pull. The Lite Clutch kit costs $34.99 from J&P's.
I use the EZ pull myself, but even with it installed I'm not sure with arthritis it would be enough.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
You can also learn how to use your arm to pull the clutch. Just bend your fingers enough to catch the lever, and pull with your arm instead of squeezing with grip. When going through the gears, I only pull my lever about 1/2" on all of my bikes. Shifts are smooth and quiet. Downshifting does require more clutch pull.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
These work very well for dirt bikes and quads. They even use them in the AMA supercross series. I didn't know they had them for the road bikes but after reading this I looked it up. basically turn your clutch into an automatic, sort of a centrifugal.

Rekluse EXP Harley-Davidson Auto-Clutch

Just Shift, Twist, and Go
Free your clutch hand with the Rekluse automatic clutch for your Big Twin Harley-Davidson®. Come to a complete stop in gear and accelerate without touching the clutch lever. The manual action of the clutch lever is still fully functional at any time, if desired, for shifting and taking off.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
These work very well for dirt bikes and quads. They even use them in the AMA supercross series. I didn't know they had them for the road bikes but after reading this I looked it up. basically turn your clutch into an automatic, sort of a centrifugal.

Rekluse EXP Harley-Davidson Auto-Clutch

Just Shift, Twist, and Go
Free your clutch hand with the Rekluse automatic clutch for your Big Twin Harley-Davidson®. Come to a complete stop in gear and accelerate without touching the clutch lever. The manual action of the clutch lever is still fully functional at any time, if desired, for shifting and taking off.
now thats sounds like your kinda thing right there, kinda cool for those with hand problems. $800 buckeroos for some good riding enjoy ment. how can u put a price on that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went from a '95 sporty to an '07 softail and the clutch is much better to me. I get arthur in my left hand too when it's cold especially and two fingers lock up. : (

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
I've been having a lot of problems with my wrist. It is very painful to pull the clutch on my Sportster. I am being pimped out to doctors and the consensus seems to be arthritis. I really don't want to give up riding.
Is there any sort of hydraulic or foot controlled options so I don't have to begin my new rocking chair hobby??
I would start by lubing the cable. maybe that will help loosen it up a bit.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
If that Rekluse clutch works like it is advertised, it should sell pretty good.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
As I said earlier, they first came out tot he motocross community as a fix for stalling the big four stroke motors in a corner and losing laps, instead of spots. They quickly worked out the bugs and now nearly every rider in the Supercross series uses them. That's why they can crash, get up and take off without having to restart the bike.

There were doubters and haters at first but's nothing but love now.

I would not hesitate to get one if I had an issue with the clutch hand.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For some reason a lot of sites show tthe hydraulic kit as no longer available. I'm wondering if the company has folded. There are only a coupl on Ebay.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
A guy i work with is a motorcycle mechanic, he has installed two automatic clutches for a feller who only has about 10% use of his left hand. They work great. He did the second one because the boy totaled his first bike. These were installed on Dyna's.....i don't know if they make them for sportys.....but i will find out. And he also said they were'nt very expensive. not 100% sure, but i think it was this one.

http://www.efmautoclutch.com/street.shtml

·
Retired citizen
24,161 Posts
The thing I noticed about the auto clutch is you have to get used to using it. Forget about pulling the clutch handle in and don't goose the throttle when you're stopped or you'll launch forward !

1 - 20 of 40 Posts