Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2000 883 Hugger and it just started doing this and its getting worse very fast so i could really use some help.
First off when its in neutral the N light isnt coming on everytime. And i know the light itself is good cuz it does come on sometimes. And some times shifting from 1st to 2nd it will slip and stay in neutral, so i have to shift back down to first then up again. ( at first it would only do this once but now im having to down shift and then back up multiple times to get it into 2nd gear) this all happened on my way to work, it did this twice, then on the way home it got worse and happened like 3-4 times. Its not happening everytime but its getting more frequent. I can hear the gears shifting when they do and to me it doesn't sound abnormal, but im not 100% sure on that, I dont hear or feel any grinding or metal on metal scrapping. When i shift up into 2nd I can feel the click in the shifter like its going into gear but it just revs up like its in neutral.

So im trying to find out if its a clutch problem or a gear problem or what it could be before i take it in to the shop. Or maybe depending on what it is i might just try and fix it myself.
Any help or advise would be great, thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a manual and im going to adjust the clutch cable and check the fluids and tighten down the shift linkage and all that, see if that helps. There is a lot of play on the shifter, im going to file the splines and the shift rod and tighten every thing down, hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I took the primary case off and the spring on the clutch release mechanism was broke so i replaced that changed the oil and did a good inspection of the gears and chains and clutch plates as best i could without taking everything apart and it all looks good to me. There isnt any wear marks or chips or anything else i could see. There was quite a bit of metal shavings on the drain plug when i took it out but I cant tell where its coming from.
And after i got it all back together i drove it down the street and its still not going into 2nd and the neutral light isnt coming on when its in neutral, its also hard to get into neutral.

Any ideas would be great, local shops are busy and cant get it in for a few weeks to even look at it. So im trying to save some money and time by doing it myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts