Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about ready to put on my 16" apes on my 2009 FXSTC. I thought I read that the transmission must be drained before taking the cover off to replace the cable. Correct? If so do I need a new gasket.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
If you don't drain it before removing the cover, that issue will take care of itself....

And yes, it is recommended to replace the gasket.

It may be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others...

·
Registered
595 Posts
I would recommend it. I did the same install and many say to reuse. I did and now I have to replace.

Post pics when you get done.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -Albert Einstein

·
Retired citizen
23,188 Posts
Put a new gasket on and 1qt. of 85/140 oil in the trans. The 6spd works best with the gear oil in it. ... IMO !

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
put a new gasket on and 1qt. Of 85/140 oil in the trans. The 6spd works best with the gear oil in it. ... Imo !
and that 6 speed is fantastic.

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
I am about ready to put on my 16" apes on my 2009 FXSTC. I thought I read that the transmission must be drained before taking the cover off to replace the cable. Correct? If so do I need a new gasket.
Awesome! Pics are essential.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Attachments

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
Dude, those bars are going to be ridiculous on that bike. I hope you're ready to get half the county pregnant just by rolling by, because that's about to go down.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I agree with c.ill on those bars. Sick!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -Albert Einstein

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts