Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Electra glide over the bridges South Shore!Used a Go Pro on :biking:Heading back clutch started slipping adjustment did not work:what?Ouestion parts&labor for a new clutch 1985 Electra Glide classic?:dunnoThanks I'll post some stills from Go Pro I thought I was filming:eek:feedback:

Attachments

·
Registered
42,710 Posts
Easy enough to DIY.

Drain Primary
Remove Outer Primary
Remove Clutch Spring Plate by removing the bolts gradually in sequence
Remove Clutch Friction Plates and Steel Plates and replace Friction Plates.

Re assemble in reverse order, tightening Clutch Plate bolts to 100 inch pounds.

I had good luck with the Barnett extra plate clutch setup.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The extra plate clutch setups are for `90 and later.

The early diaphragm clutches did not use the troublesome spring plate.

Follow the service manual, and heed Kainam`s advise concerning the 4 bolts that hold the diaphragm spring. Go evenly when untorquing and torquing, or you can snap the posts on the hub.

Also follow the service manual and perform the spring adjustment so that you set the adjuster plate to the correct position (A,B or C).

You can easily do this job yourself.

How about a couple of pics of the bike (I`m crazy about older Evo Electra Glides)?

·
Registered
42,710 Posts
Well, now you have me questioning myself.

I see on the Barnett website that their replacement friction plates (non +1) have 25% more surface area. Maybe that's what I had.
Harley Davidson Big Twin 1984 (Mid)-'89 - Barnett Tool & Engineering

Clutch was installed 25 yrs ago, so I could be mistaken about the extra plate kit.

Strange that they would have extra plate kits for Knuckleheads, Panheads, Shovelheads, and late Evos, but nothing for early Evos.... :dunno

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I injured my thumb but I may buy parts and do it???Just was wondering if anybody knew stealership prices:blahblah:Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks L S gonna post video next time big bike&car day on Sundays still new to Go Pro??LOL! Dan I think I bought my V / Rod from them because Long Island was sold out back then??Thanks complete clutch job may be in order?:thanks

·
Señor Member
19,836 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
I took the Electra glide over the bridges South Shore!Used a Go Pro on :biking:Heading back clutch started slipping adjustment did not work:what?Ouestion parts&labor for a new clutch 1985 Electra Glide classic?:dunnoThanks I'll post some stills from Go Pro I thought I was filming:eek:feedback:
Your post is not very legible, I guess your asking about rebuilding your clutch. Did you adjust it yourself, did you try doing it again. What does the go pro camera have to do with the clutch. You may want to post those pics and talk about the go pro in another thread.. just saying. Btw nice pics of the Robert Moses bridge.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Just saw that you got it fixed, glad to hear your back up and running. Now you can talk more about the go pro camera and show some nice footage. Lol.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
That is one seriously screwed up pic. At least on my computer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts