Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it matter on an XL which wire goes to which plug? Or can they be switched. I'm relocatating the coil to the left side of engine and the way it is now, they would have to cross over each other.

:rofl:

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
The primary wires should be connected to their respective terminals, the secondary plug wires can go to either plug.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Schmidty, he has a late model bike with the new ignition. The coils don't fire at the same time, so he'll have to keep the primary and secondary matched.

So he needs to switch the primary wires, if he wants to swap the plug wires.

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
Oops, he said XL so I figured dual fire.
I believe the coil primary terminals are marked + and - .
The latest single fire ignition was introduced on the 2007 model year Sportster.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But, the coil has markings on the plug connectors saying FRT or R.

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
If the coil has 3 primary wires it's a single fire, 2 wires and it's a dual fire. Dual fire and both plugs fire at the same time so the plug wires can be reversed.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I took it to a local auto shop to cut the wires and crimp on the ends. I didn't want to buy one for $40 for a 1 time use.. Old old garage with one on one dealings. I have been there 3 times for my truck and they are very fair. Old time style. One older guy says he can do it. I sit and wait. 45 minutes later he comes up and say's he botched one end and has to go down the block to get another. The runner comes back and I watch the guy. He's using a vice, hammer, chisel and ???/He gets it done in 1/2 hour. He tells me that these wires are a royal pain in the *ss and that's why he never wants to do another. I put them on to be sure the bike fires right. They work good. Then the yard dog who I've petted twice come up and bites me on the left leg tearing a hole in my jeans. I told the owner " he must have thought I was leaving before paying" He saw what happened and said "no charge for the wires"

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
23,201 Posts
Checked my shop books, your bike is single fire, 3 wire connector at the coil .

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks.

:bike-038:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where did you get the kit? (is there a kit?)

Coil Key Kits Ignition Relocation DK Custom Harley-Davidson Sportster

I ordered the horn relocate kit. But the two bolts going to the engine stabilizer that the bracket attaches to are FROZEN on. I say screw the horn. Who needs one unless you're stuck behind someone who's asleep when the light turns green. If I need to warn someone, a blast of my V&H's will do. If a car is turning left in front of me am I going to honk my horn?? HONKHONK. I think not.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
rode hard/put up wet
205 Posts
Coil relocation on my 98 1200C. I made my wires myself with components I bought on line. Cost was less than $40.00 including a crimping tool. I bought 10' of retro looking wire from one site, the terminals and boots from another and the crimping tool from a third. The wire would not be suitable for later models because it's solid copper core which is not EMI suppressed.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts