Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I second what longbeard1 said about that kind of stuff. I found I could bundle up enough to keep my upper body warm but my legs are what went first. I couldn't bring myself to wear chaps so I got a pair of these at the local TJ Max for under $15 and they worked excellent.

I went looking for a shirt to match but found out it was a UK company and got it through ebay Men's Boy's TCA Superthermal Compression Armour Base Layer Top Under Shirt Skins | eBay I didn't get it in time to try it before putting the bike away for the winter. With this stuff its only the salt that kept me off the road and I expect to start early this year.
The body Armor stuff is pretty much the same thing.

I also got one of these as a filler item on Amazon for under two bucks with free shipping

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
Gerbing heated gear is couch the way to go! I have ridden with my gear down in the single digits and had no problems

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Yep....Gerbings........can't say enough good things about their heated gear...

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
As everybody has said Gerbing is the best but the only issue I have found is that when wearing multiple pieces like coat, pants, and jacket or liner is that you have to mount/hookup a seperate controller.
For Christmas my wife got me Harley heated gear that is made by Gerbing. They all hook together like regular Gerbing gear but you do not have a controller to be hooked up seperately, the controller is built into each piece of clothing to work on/off high and low.

I dont know how well it works yet, I have to wait until spring. The wife liked the design of what she bought me so well she returned the regular Gerbing gear I bought her for Christmas ans is going with the Harley stuff.

·
Registered
257 Posts
An absolute must is a balaclava (hope I am close on the spelling). Keeps head warm and wind off of your neck (where your thermostat is located, I think) and will make a huge difference in your comfort.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
As everybody has said Gerbing is the best but the only issue I have found is that when wearing multiple pieces like coat, pants, and jacket or liner is that you have to mount/hookup a seperate controller.
For Christmas my wife got me Harley heated gear that is made by Gerbing. They all hook together like regular Gerbing gear but you do not have a controller to be hooked up seperately, the controller is built into each piece of clothing to work on/off high and low.

I dont know how well it works yet, I have to wait until spring. The wife liked the design of what she bought me so well she returned the regular Gerbing gear I bought her for Christmas ans is going with the Harley stuff.
There is a dual controller that they sell that controls all the pieces not adjusting each piece separately. It will control the gloves and socks apparel that the jacket and pants but it will control everything

http://m.thewarmingstore.com/ystore/yhst-11545572856523/gerbings-portable-dual-temp-controller.html

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
There is a dual controller that they sell that controls all the pieces not adjusting each piece separately. It will control the gloves and socks apparel that the jacket and pants but it will control everything

Gerbing 12V Portable Dual Temp Controller
I had the dual temp controller with her gear, but with the Harley gear each piece has its own controller but with no extra wires. The controller is built in and there is nothing to get tangled up except the single power wire. Time will tell.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
Hmm never seen any like that. .. gerbings is less than 15 minutes from my house so I just go there and get my gear there

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
My ole lady has the dual cont. like in that pic..I have the other Gerbing dual controller..that you permament mount...have them mounted on my air deflector by my legs...one on each side..replaced the stock knobs with some bigger chorme one off an old home stereo...wish I could post pics..pretty neat set up...didn't want to drill holes in my painted fairing to mount the control knobs...?

·
Registered
206 Posts

This sounds really interesting. Have you got a link that I can check out. The only Gerbing info I can find is the separate single or dual controller that's been around for some time.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
This sounds really interesting. Have you got a link that I can check out. The only Gerbing info I can find is the separate single or dual controller that's been around for some time.
Look at the Harley heated gear it is made by gerbing with all the Harley logo stuff. Each piece has a little square waterproof button on it that is the controller. It has the new Gerber micro wire technology. It cost more than regular Gerber but you do not need the additional $100 dual controller.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have Gerbings dual controller and jacket liner, gloves, socks, pants. I don't use the socks and pants very often but jacket liner and gloves quite a bit. Gerbings had a little hickup when they went from making their own stuff to sending it out of the countr but I think there being made back here now.. Great customer service.

When running two up with Gerbings (or any heated clothing) keep an eye on your volt gauge when idling especially if your running your Aux lights. I usually just turn off the Aux till I get out of stop and go....

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I have Gerbings dual controller and jacket liner, gloves, socks, pants. I don't use the socks and pants very often but jacket liner and gloves quite a bit. Gerbings had a little hickup when they went from making their own stuff to sending it out of the countr but I think there being made back here now.. Great customer service.

When running two up with Gerbings (or any heated clothing) keep an eye on your volt gauge when idling especially if your running your Aux lights. I usually just turn off the Aux till I get out of stop and go....
Just an option you can switch your lights over to led and have no problems with your volts at all!

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I wear a wool base layer - Icebreaker or Duofold are both good brands. Then Gerbing heated pants and jacket liners with a dual-control thermostat. Over that I wear windproof, waterproof riding pants. I usually wear a wool sweater under the Gerbing heated jacket liner. I have a 3/4 length textile riding jacket that is windproof and waterproof, just like my riding pants. I wear Gerbing heated gloves too.

In the winter a full face helmet will keep you a lot warmer. When riding in really frigid conditions, it can protect you from frostbite too. A neck gaiter will help seal the area between your neck and the helmet. I also have Gerbing heated foot-bed liners that are nice when it gets into the low 30's.

A lot of riders get by with a lot less gear in the winter. The tolerance that you exhibit toward the cold is highly subjective. Some people freeze on a late spring ride, others seem to be able to endure very cold conditions with little discomfort.

If you spend much time with all-season touring riders, they invariably are dressed very warm and are the most likely group to have heated gear.

It is extremely difficult to keep warm on a motorcycle in cold weather without good gear, particularly heated gear. The reason is fairly simple, the wind chill factors while riding a motorcycle are such that your body cannot convert enough food or fat into heat fast enough to keep you warm for very long. No matter how tolerant you are to the pain of the cold, you still cannot overcome the deficits that the cold will produce in your body temperature.

Heated liners let an external energy source - the battery and charging system on your motorcycle - keep you from losing heat. Your core temperature can remain stable and healthy. You will also be much more comfortable.

For heated gear to work properly, you need to protect it from the wind and the rain. You also need to cover it in an insulating layer that will keep the heat close to your skin. Wearing heated pants liners under jeans will not be anywhere near as effective as if they are worn under insulated, windproof, waterproof riding pants.

Once you get heated gear, always maintain a comfortable temperature. Don't wait until you are chilled to turn on the heat, run it from when you leave the garage. That way you are maintaining your core body temperature, not trying to replace heat that you have already lost.

Pete

Whats is some of the best cold weather gear and by who And maybe some info how to stay warm

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Quote -It is extremely difficult to keep warm on a motorcycle in cold weather without good gear, particularly heated gear. The reason is fairly simple, the wind chill factors while riding a motorcycle are such that your body cannot convert enough food or fat into heat fast enough to keep you warm for very long. No matter how tolerant you are to the pain of the cold, you still cannot overcome the deficits that the cold will produce in your body temperature.

Pete - That is kind of funny because if food or fat is converted to heat I must be the cause of Global Warming.:eek

1 - 20 of 32 Posts