Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I decided to ride highway 141 in western Colorado. I think this is the most underrated motorcycle highway in Colorado.
From Durango we rode to the southern end of hwy 141 near Dove Creek. 141 took us through Disappointment Valley.

Then we followed the Dolores River Canyon.

At first we rode along the top of the canyon looking down. Later we ended up in the bottom of the canyon.

Then we rode through the town of Gateway. It's a very small town.

At the north end of town a ranching family was driving cattle.

We pulled over and had our lunch by a creek. All restaurants were closed due to the Coronavirus. That was all right. It was nice eating the sandwiches we brought by the creek.

From this point on we no longer saw as much sandstone. Here the cayon was granite.

We saw quite a few motorcycles out even though there was a stay at home order.

The canyon dumped us out near Grand Junction CO. From there we took hwy 50 to highway 550.
We took the Million Dollar Highway home to Durango. The is a great motorcycle road but it's so close to home I only took one picture.

Unlike the earlier section of our ride these mountains were snowy and cool.

By the time we got home we rode 408 miles.

·
old scoot coot
3,431 Posts
Ya, 408 miles of awesomeness!!
Great pics and storytelling, as always.
cool dave thanks. jack and i ride the rockies twice a year on our spring ride we will come across western kansas and up to durango make that loop before heading back down to garden city. we may go further south and come back in through oklahoma so we can stop at butchers bbq on rt 66 at welston, ok. he has the very best brisket sammich i have ever eaten anywhere. that includes texas, missouri, kansas, oklahome, arkansas and anywhere else that has those sammiches.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,274 Posts
Dave, was just talking to a buddy this afternoon about riding those two (plus a few other) roads out in Colorado. Been down the million dollar hwy several years ago. Still a few roads in that state yet to be ridden by me, and I'll get to them before too long. Thanks for the pix.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
7 Posts
My friend and I decided to ride highway 141 in western Colorado. I think this is the most underrated motorcycle highway in Colorado.
From Durango we rode to the southern end of hwy 141 near Dove Creek. 141 took us through Disappointment Valley.

Then we followed the Dolores River Canyon.

At first we rode along the top of the canyon looking down. Later we ended up in the bottom of the canyon.

Then we rode through the town of Gateway. It's a very small town.

At the north end of town a ranching family was driving cattle.

We pulled over and had our lunch by a creek. All restaurants were closed due to the Coronavirus. That was all right. It was nice eating the sandwiches we brought by the creek.

From this point on we no longer saw as much sandstone. Here the cayon was granite.

We saw quite a few motorcycles out even though there was a stay at home order.

The canyon dumped us out near Grand Junction CO. From there we took hwy 50 to highway 550.
We took the Million Dollar Highway home to Durango. The is a great motorcycle road but it's so close to home I only took one picture.

Unlike the earlier section of our ride these mountains were snowy and cool.

By the time we got home we rode 408 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome!!!! Thanks for the pics, the roads and description. I'm from Texas and you gave me a great bucket list to full-fill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts