Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a buddy retiring from the Air Force on the 19th in Colorado Springs, and I am hoping to jump on the bike and run out there for the ceremony and party. Got a few questions for anyone familiar with the area regarding weather and critters. I'm told it gets a bit chilly in the evening in mid September. Just how chilly should I pack for?
Also, I have this thing about hitting deer and such. Is this a bad time of the year for them to be moving a lot? In my area, the "moving season" is still a ways off.
Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
Got a buddy retiring from the Air Force on the 19th in Colorado Springs, and I am hoping to jump on the bike and run out there for the ceremony and party. Got a few questions for anyone familiar with the area regarding weather and critters. I'm told it gets a bit chilly in the evening in mid September. Just how chilly should I pack for?
Also, I have this thing about hitting deer and such. Is this a bad time of the year for them to be moving a lot? In my area, the "moving season" is still a ways off.
Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
Cant remember exactly about Co Springs, but I know the trip from Denver to Avon Co gets cold enough for gloves when the sun goes down, even in the middle of July.

Bring jacket and gloves, and you should be good.

Up in the mountains, any time is time to be alert for all manner of 4 legged critters.... deer, moose, elk, antelope..... Haven't seen bear that far north though.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,897 Posts
Colo springs from Mississippi ok if you come up the national grass lands or I 25.

Bring warm gear and thermals if you have them. Will be cold if you do San Isabel or any other areas going up in elevation.

Great riding but. Deer in rut and cold as soon as sun goes behind the Rockies.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Deer in rut and cold as soon as sun goes behind the Rockies.
The deer probably my biggest concern. When they go in rut here, we stay off of the back roads through the woods. They just seem to be everywhere.

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
Do yourself a favor and take a ride south to Taos and Santa Fe area while you're there! :thumb

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
KD, apologize upfront about high jacking your thread, but Kainam opened the door... :whiteflag Kainam, I'm heading to Santa Fe mid-to-late September. Anything special I need to know such as weather from say 20-27 September? Leaving SLC heading to Moab, then down to Santa Fe and returning though Durango, CO. Appreciate the insight.

Attachments

·
Registered
40,083 Posts
Same thing about bringing your leathers, with the additional caveat....

Don't chase the baby black bears while drunk. :dunno

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Kd, we used to go to Estes Park, CO., a lot. Liked to go in early to mid September. Numerous meadows for viewing the elk that would gather close to sundown and they were starting to rut then. Be extra cautious cause obviously the ruts at the higher elevations come sooner than we are used to.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,897 Posts
The deer probably my biggest concern. When they go in rut here, we stay off of the back roads through the woods. They just seem to be everywhere.

Deer are a concern because they switch directions. Elk are a bittch to hit but they usually stay same direction of travel so we aim where they have been.

Bears are out now but most are low since acorn crop got wiped out in spring freeze.

Ride garden of gods while there. A ride out to cripple creek is good.

24 west to Buena Vista pick up 9 north through Breckinridge. Or if you have time

Or take 82 west over independence pass down into Aspen.

Out of aspen the back way to Redstone over McClure pass take the 12a to Crested Butte down through Gunnison. I can go on ........ This state has more great riding than most.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some good ride suggestions. I've ridden all over Colorado in years past, but never in fall. Where I am now, we're still in jeans and T-shirts and sweating until well after sundown. I have a feeling that when I get up there, the gang will have a few rides set up. Now just need to get the right stuff packed for the ride.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Do yourself a favor and take a ride south to Taos and Santa Fe area while you're there! :thumb
KD, apologize upfront about high jacking your thread, but Kainam opened the door... :whiteflag Kainam, I'm heading to Santa Fe mid-to-late September. Anything special I need to know such as weather from say 20-27 September? Leaving SLC heading to Moab, then down to Santa Fe and returning though Durango, CO. Appreciate the insight.
:thumbsup:thumbsup +2 on both of these, beautiful places. Your usual leathers should be just fine this time of year.

A good little motel to stop in Chama, NM before you turn to Durango is the Trails End (I think). Clean rooms, good folks. It's on the corner before you turn towards Durango.

·
Mountain Rider
1,344 Posts
Some good ride suggestions. I've ridden all over Colorado in years past, but never in fall. Where I am now, we're still in jeans and T-shirts and sweating until well after sundown. I have a feeling that when I get up there, the gang will have a few rides set up. Now just need to get the right stuff packed for the ride.
Have a good trip KD, wish I was going with you! Up there for a training event once about 5 years ago and it is nice. It was in November but still nice that year. We saw some deer in the Garden of the Gods outside Colorado Springs and they are LOTS bigger than the ones I see around here in eastern NC!

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snus, first time I rode up there several years back, we had just crossed from NM into CO and just outside of this little town this deer on steroids (otherwise called an elk)...first time I'd ever gotten that close to one... comes to the edge of the road, stops, looks both ways, then politely crosses. Damned critter been there before. I wouldn't want to hit one of those in a tractor rig.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Snus, first time I rode up there several years back, we had just crossed from NM into CO and just outside of this little town this deer on steroids (otherwise called an elk)...first time I'd ever gotten that close to one... comes to the edge of the road, stops, looks both ways, then politely crosses. Damned critter been there before. I wouldn't want to hit one of those in a tractor rig[/I].

Not as bad as it would be if you hit one on a bike :eek

1 - 14 of 14 Posts