Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and road around CO. Had an amazing time. 3 days in Colorado Springs followed by 2 in Durango. Had a front blow out 90 min in on the first day, but after that no bad, Rode up to the top of a volcano in NM. Rode the Royal Gorge Train, White water rafted Class I - IV on the Arkansas River, and made it to Durango for the 4 Corners Rally. Took Highway 24 out of CS and across the pass to Gunnison (awesome scenery). Rode the Million Dollar Highway (finally). Ate a hamburger the size of my face (Burger World in Canon City)... 2300 miles and what an awesome adventure.

·
Super Moderator
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The small "loop" at the bottom right was the blow out.

90 min into the ride the front tire went. I have an aftermarket TPMS and it started flashing "00" so I knew to get over right away. Last time I had a front blow out, I lost control out into the grass when the handle bars started flapping violently back and forth, tank-slapping style. This time I used the motor to slow, not touching the brakes and was very lucky. Wife never knew what was happening, she thought I need to stretch my legs. Had a 3' drop off and only about a 3' shoulder on a busy country highway. I waited for a brake and duck walked the bike across to the other side of the highway where there was a good 50' of gravel.

No less than a dozen bikes went by... not a single one stopped. What has happened to our community?

No signal on my phone. Got a text out to my daughter to get Geico to tow us. About an hour later, no word. A nice couple slightly older than us stopped, gave us water, peanut butter crackers and their phone which had a signal. Geico said it would be 2 more hours... it was HOT out there and no shade. The guy in the truck, Greg, said "tell them never mind". He went ad got his trailer and brought us an hour back to Texas Harley in Bedford, who on a Sunday was able to work us in. We bought Greg and Jan (Brady bunch?) lunch and tried to pay for their gas (they refused).

We made Amarillo by 10pm. We were back on schedule.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Last week we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and road around CO. Had an amazing time. 3 days in Colorado Springs followed by 2 in Durango. Had a front blow out 90 min in on the first day, but after that no bad, Rode up to the top of a volcano in NM. Rode the Royal Gorge Train, White water rafted Class I - IV on the Arkansas River, and made it to Durango for the 4 Corners Rally. Took Highway 24 out of CS and across the pass to Gunnison (awesome scenery). Rode the Million Dollar Highway (finally). Ate a hamburger the size of my face (Burger World in Canon City)... 2300 miles and what an awesome adventure.

View attachment 787971

View attachment 787972

View attachment 787973

View attachment 787974

View attachment 787975

View attachment 787976

View attachment 787977

View attachment 787978

View attachment 787979

View attachment 787980
Happy belated 30th Wedding anniversary its our 30th Next week , some achievement in this day and age when marriage only means a piece of paper .
Your trip looks fantastic and your wife looks beautiful ;) you on the other hand ahahahahahaahah :ROFLMAO: only kidding ya .. you both look very happy (y) congratulations making the 30
stunning photos of the sights you saw and that burger I think I could only manage 1/2

·
Registered
39,576 Posts
Those looked like good onion rings too!

Reactions: gtrman66

·
Registered
725 Posts
The small "loop" at the bottom right was the blow out.

No less than a dozen bikes went by... not a single one stopped. What has happened to our community?

No signal on my phone. Got a text out to my daughter to get Geico to tow us. About an hour later, no word. A nice couple slightly older than us stopped, gave us water, peanut butter crackers and their phone which had a signal. Geico said it would be 2 more hours... it was HOT out there and no shade. The guy in the truck, Greg, said "tell them never mind". He went ad got his trailer and brought us an hour back to Texas Harley in Bedford, who on a Sunday was able to work us in. We bought Greg and Jan (Brady bunch?) lunch and tried to pay for their gas (they refused).

We made Amarillo by 10pm. We were back on schedule.

That is so discouraging to hear. I always stop unless waved off. Glad your Good Samaritan showed up and renewed your faith in humanity a bit. Society seems to be getting more self centered by the day.
Thanks for sharing the trip. I did 4 years at Ft. Carson 84-88 Love that State. Too bad you didn't hook up with Durango Dave, he knows that part of the country better than anyone I would wager.
I envy you that ride!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Greg and Jan Brady deserve a medal! I've only been out of CA for like 4 days on our 16 day ride and AGAIN it's super apparent that the people outside of that state our 1000% nicer and politer. We are staying the night just north of San Antonio and already had 1 lady hold a door for us at the restaurant we ate at and a young, (20ish?), kid hold it at the gas station! Twice in one evening! That's more than the last 6 months in CA!!! There are still good people out there, just more in some places than others! Glad you came across some on your trip GM66........ and thanks for sharing the pics!

·
Super Moderator
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What caused the blowout?
I asked and the service manager said let me go back and ask the tech. At this point I said, doesn't matter, just get me out of here. I was dying to get back on the road. I did roll it forward and the wife could not see an obvious screw/nail/debris... so it goes into the unknown box.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Happy anniversary!
Glad you guys made it through a blow out without a scratch.
Looks like a nice ride.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Happy belated anniversary, 48 years together here. Glad you were able to salvage your first day. and continue your trip. Great pictures thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for sharing. what a wonderful trip. on the tire thing almost same thing happened to me. i went to see my wife who was comforting her father in Louisiana (me in Alabama) and took US 82 when got to Columbus, Ms. rear tire went flat. called Geico and was told they had no service in that area. luckily i was close to a bike shop. but nooooo they didn't have a tire for me. called my son and he picked one up from Heart of Dixie HD (great folks) and brought it over. the reason for my flat was the tire delaminated and it looked like an old tire. last Dunlop i bought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts