Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Connecticut rifle manufacturer is opening a plant in Breckenridge, possibly presaging a relocation to Texas after Connecticut passed tougher gun restrictions.

The CBS affiliate in Dallas-Fort Worth broke the news Friday evening. An Oregon-owned company Bold Ideas confirmed the announcement to the news station. Bold Ideas owns Colt Competition, which manufactures three kinds of semi-automatic rifles, including the AR-15. According to the report, applications were available at the Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce, and that a classified job listing appeared in the newspaper.

A story on Monday in the Hartford Courant in Connecticut confirmed the announced factory in Texas.

No representative from Bold Ideas or Colt Competition has stated that the company is shutting down operations in Connecticut. However, Colt Competition’s CEO wrote an editorial in March expressing dismay at state proposals to ban high capacity weapons.
Virgil Moore of the Breckenridge Economic Development Corporation was somewhat coy Monday afternoon about whether a firearms company that makes AR-15 rifles was coming to town.

“I don’t have any official news, and I’ve been asked to not divulge a great deal of specific information,” he said.

What Moore can say is that last week, he sold a former mobile home manufacturing plant — at 136,000 square feet the largest such plant in town — to a “manufacturing company.”

And he noted that “there’s a firearms company running a help-wanted ad in the (local) newspaper.”

All of which is to say, without saying, that Colt Competition is coming to Breckenridge. Multiple independent news sources confirm that the Canby, Ore.-based company will open a manufacturing plant.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Magpul will be next after Colorado's BS laws. I would imagine Remington will be soon to follow as well.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
That would be great! I know the people around Breckinridge could sure use the boost to their economy.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Awesome. After all, the Colt is one of the main reasons Texas was settled.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
That's how we should deal with this stupid crap. They don't want guns, move the manufacturing and the taxes out of state. They want to take your guns, move to where they and you are welcome. Let the numbnuts legislate them selves out of a state economy. I'm to the point push them up to the NE area, cut it off and let them float back to the no gun country of England.

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
Damn.....Might be time to relocate. LOL

That would be a sweet job!

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
That's how we should deal with this stupid crap. They don't want guns, move the manufacturing and the taxes out of state. They want to take your guns, move to where they and you are welcome. Let the numbnuts legislate them selves out of a state economy. I'm to the point push them up to the NE area, cut it off and let them float back to the no gun country of England.
Not a bad sounding idea man.....Other than the lobster and crab fishing would be tough. Maryland does have the best crab cakes.

Sorry, I'm a fat kid. LOL

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts

·
Banned
612 Posts
I'm to the point push them up to the NE area, cut it off and let them float back to the no gun country of England.
Not a bad idea but not all of us are liberals....I know , the few have to suffer for the many...maybe I can move down south before y'all disconnect us...

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
Not a bad idea but not all of us are liberals....I know , the few have to suffer for the many...maybe I can move down south before y'all disconnect us...
Watcha waitin' on old timer?

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
Rumor is: Remington got a huge 4+ million $ contract with government with the stipulation they stay put.

Some of Chucky's work no doubt...

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,344 Posts
Not a bad sounding idea man.....Other than the lobster and crab fishing would be tough. Maryland does have the best crab cakes.

Sorry, I'm a fat kid. LOL
We have delicious shovel-nosed lobsters on the South Coast and our blue crabs are a-plenty....and although I agree Maryland's crab cakes are great, come on down and try some crab cakes Cajun style.Who needs that stuff from NE when we have every bit as much and more right here.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Y'all gotta try Dungeness crab, don't have to eat 6-7 to get a meal! Got em all up and down the coast over here.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
PTR In Bristol Is First Firearms Maker To Declare It's Exiting Connecticut
During the three-month debate over gun control in Connecticut, the name PTR Industries Inc. barely came up, but the Bristol manufacturer with 50 employees has become the first maker of military-style rifles to announce its exit from Connecticut since the state adopted a strict ban on sales last week.

"Although PTR has not decided upon a specific relocation site at this time, over the coming weeks the company will be actively considering offers from states that are friendly to the industry. We hope to have a site identified within the next six weeks, and hope to have our move completed by the end of this year," the company said in an announcement on its web site and in a press release.

I'm a big fan. By far the lightest of my 308 rifles, by far the least recoil, side by side, with the same ammo.

·
Try'n to behave
5,844 Posts
Looks amazingly like a CETME. Does it dent the side of your casing on ejection?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CETME was the predecessor of the G3 / HK91

And yes, being a delayed recoil action, it ejects pretty hard and dings the brass,

and the fluted chamber marks the brass. I intend to try reloading it anyway.

·
Try'n to behave
5,844 Posts
I'm not a reloader, but I would think that the flute markings would be less of a concern than the dinged case. I would also think that you could make a tool to remove that ding, but not sure. As long as the thickness and hardness of the brass isn't compromised. :dunno

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
relative to the ability of the brass to resist case separation during extraction,

which is much of the reason for the fluted chamber anyway,

I believe the strength of the casing may even be improved,

although it may limit the number of times brass could be reloaded

I think I'll try dealing with the case ding by half filling the case with water prior to removing the primer,

and a tight fitting .308" ram hit with a soft dead-blow hammer.

Sounds messy? I have a similar nuisance pressing crimped primers

out of some modern commercially loaded 7.62x25 cases

many primers are pierced or nearly pierced so the primer pin just punches the middle out,

but just a pinch of walnut shell tumbling media dropped into the case

prior to the sizing/decapping step fixes it right up. :thumb

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would suspect by the time this dust has all settled Texas will have the vast majority of the firearms manufactures located there.

It would be a great place for Colt, I love my SAA’s and 1911’s.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts