Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Looking at purchasing a new pair of riding boots. I would like them to be comfortable enough to wear daily. I am a teacher and I am on my feet all day. I have a pair of workbooks that I have worn for school and riding. I would like to stay away from string hooks at the top as I sometimes catch them on the passenger part of my seat when dismounting. Any brands that are very comfortable? What to look for? What to stay away from? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
Boots can be a very personal item like so many other things. For me, after looking around quite a bit I bought the HD Brake Light boots. Each boot has two zippers--I didn't want to screw around with laces and even though these boots have laces running around on them the laces are purely decorative as they don't really lace up and I simply cut them off. These boots also had, IMHO, too many decorative metal HD emblems/logos so I unscrewed and removed the ones I could. But the big reason I bought these was because I have a wide foot, normally wear an E width, and these boots run wide but the regular width boot is still plenty wide for me and they are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. I always wear them when I ride and in cool weather I wear them daily even when not riding. Oh, and I also cut off the loop at the top rear of each boot cause I don't need the loop for grabbing and helping me get the boots on and after sitting and then standing up my jeans would catch on the loop.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hey all. Looking at purchasing a new pair of riding boots. I would like them to be comfortable enough to wear daily. I am a teacher and I am on my feet all day. I have a pair of workbooks that I have worn for school and riding. I would like to stay away from string hooks at the top as I sometimes catch them on the passenger part of my seat when dismounting. Any brands that are very comfortable? What to look for? What to stay away from? Thanks everyone.
Academy Sports has a good selection of boots. They carry the Harley Davidson boots as well . :)

·
VA Fender Bender
5,549 Posts
Bates riding boots have become my favorite.

·
Registered
147 Posts
over the years I have spent up to $300 for a fancy pairs of redwing boots and many other brands. as it turns out the most comfortable best boot is the no name brand at walmart for $19.99 with my dr. scholls insert water proof spray and a thick soc. when they have size 13 I buy two pair - I wear them everyday from fall to spring (work, play, second job at gun club, harley) no break in, they also have an overlaping sole that I need to trap the front shift lever for up shift works great. has an excellent waffle sole gives good traction on all surfaces and will last for atleast one season. they should send me a sales commission after that

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Danner Boots for me with the vibram soul....You will never want to wear another boot.

I have pair of Danners that have treated me well for years...
I third this one,

I resisted paying for the Danners for a long time. I finally gave in a few months ago and bought a pair of 6" duty boots and after about 2 days of break in they are my favorite boots ever.

Timberland boots were my first choice for a long time, but the quality has gone down so much that I was only getting ~6 months per pair.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have worn bates or the 511 duty boots with side zippers they come with or without safety toe and steel or none steel in waterproof or not. They wear like iron and need very little brake in. We all wear them on the job I have a pair that I've worn at the FD my side job doing pellet stoves witch keeps you on your knees with the toes of the boots dragging the ground . Also climbing up roofs to connect chimney. Notm to mention the yard work and every day wear. I would have to say the 511 boots wear the best.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
i have wide feet and a high instep. So, the harness boots you find in most places won't go on my feet, even if they are the right width. My dealership doesn't carry boots that fit me, so I had to do some looking. I used to wear my old jump boots, but they finally gave up the ghost some years ago. I found some Ariat Ropers at a farm supply in Idaho back in the 90's and they fit like a dream. I rode with those for a long time. I recently found another pair at Boot Barn in Boise, ID.

The roper is a shorter boot, with no harness strap. I'd love to find a similar boot, with a zipper, in a 12-inch. But, for me it is a riding boot, not a walking boot. If I'm gonna do some trekking along the way, I bring a pair of sneakers.

·
Registered
10,385 Posts
i have wide feet and a high instep. So, the harness boots you find in most places won't go on my feet, even if they are the right width. My dealership doesn't carry boots that fit me, so I had to do some looking. I used to wear my old jump boots, but they finally gave up the ghost some years ago. I found some Ariat Ropers at a farm supply in Idaho back in the 90's and they fit like a dream. I rode with those for a long time. I recently found another pair at Boot Barn in Boise, ID.

The roper is a shorter boot, with no harness strap. I'd love to find a similar boot, with a zipper, in a 12-inch. But, for me it is a riding boot, not a walking boot. If I'm gonna do some trekking along the way, I bring a pair of sneakers.
rapier, sounds like maybe we have similar feet. I normally need an E width, and my instep is so high I couldn't wear loafer type shoes until I was almost out of high school. After looking for boots and being disappointed in one way or another everywhere I looked, I found the HD Break Light boots at a HD dealer. They are only 6" and you said you were looking for 12", but they have double zippers and although they are available in "wide" the normal width is plenty wide for me and they don't hurt my instep. Very comfortable and in cooler weather I usually wear them daily.

·
USMC
89 Posts
I've tried a number of boots over the years but the best looking and most comfortable for me are Ariat boots.
They look like dress boots but have non slip soles.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
rapier, sounds like maybe we have similar feet. I normally need an E width, and my instep is so high I couldn't wear loafer type shoes until I was almost out of high school. After looking for boots and being disappointed in one way or another everywhere I looked, I found the HD Break Light boots at a HD dealer. They are only 6" and you said you were looking for 12", but they have double zippers and although they are available in "wide" the normal width is plenty wide for me and they don't hurt my instep. Very comfortable and in cooler weather I usually wear them daily.
I'll check those out.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Alpinestars SMX-2 is a very comfortable boot. It is also made in a vented, summer, version - the SMX-1. I have the vented model and I love them. It is the most comfortable motorcycle boot that I have ever worn.

Pete

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
I have had 2 pairs of Timberland Pro boots. I too teach and am on my feet most of the day and these are by far the most comfy boots.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am still wearing Danners I bought 20 years ago when I was still in the Army.
but to replace the ones I have now would cost £250 ($390)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts