Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to decide on a softail model for use as an everyday commuter. Throw me some opinions and/or experiences as to the merits, or otherwise, as to whether the slim or the fat boy lo is better suited to the task right off of the dealer's floor. Or, is this just another matter of personal preference? I was also ogling a deluxe this weekend, but that is a bit flashy for me, ergos are great but I am more of a minimalist. However, if anyone throws a vote that way I might be swayed.

Let me have it!

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
I have been trying to decide on a softail model for use as an everyday commuter. Throw me some opinions and/or experiences as to the merits, or otherwise, as to whether the slim or the fat boy lo is better suited to the task right off of the dealer's floor. Or, is this just another matter of personal preference? I was also ogling a deluxe this weekend, but that is a bit flashy for me, ergos are great but I am more of a minimalist. However, if anyone throws a vote that way I might be swayed.

Let me have it!
Commuting? Test ride a touring bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion but as I said I'm a minimalist, not a fan of windshields, fairings, infotainment systems, etc.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
How far of a commute?

·
Registered
712 Posts
How far of a commute?
Better factor in what you may need to carry as well. Change of clothes, lunch box, pick up items for dinner on the way home. These are all reasons i put on a luggage rack and saddle bags on my 1200c. With just a sissy bar when i bought it, carrying what i needed for the day at work was a PIA on a goid day.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Better factor in what you may need to carry as well. Change of clothes, lunch box, pick up items for dinner on the way home. These are all reasons i put on a luggage rack and saddle bags on my 1200c. With just a sissy bar when i bought it, carrying what i needed for the day at work was a PIA on a goid day.
Exactly, 5 mins from home is one thing. Just needing to carry lunch or 2nd pair of shoes & jacket any distance could be a factor.

·
Administrator
13,243 Posts
Go to a dealer event that lets you test ride everything and do it, ride them all. The right one will speak to you.

I rode drag for our dealer's test rides last year when the Harley fleet was here. It was the end of the day, rode pretty much everything. The last bike left on the last ride was a Slim. 2 miles into the ride, I was convinced this is one of the coolest HD's built right now.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Is back and forth to work all the riding you are going to do? If so, walk. It's a waste of a motorcycle for 5 min each way.

·
Former Lurker
3,606 Posts
Gotta vote for a touring model.
You will end up carrying more crap than you think. Rain gear, extra clothes, picking up crap on your way to and from.
Road King if you don't want a windshield.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I use my bike when ever I can back and forth to work 80 miles round trip yes you at least need place for lunch and rain gear change of clothes depending on if you get rain gear on in time your in FL so its going to rain in the afternoon Liquid sunshine and as others have asked how far round trip and what kind of traffic or road construction that helps make choice on wind screen

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My ride, currently on an 883 with throw over bags, is 45 minutes one way, all city. Everything I need, rainsuit, etc., fits fine. Apparently I travel lighter than some. The reason I am going to "bump up" is that the financial opportunity to do so is coming, but it has been STRONGLY suggested by the bean counter that I better like what I buy for about 10 years.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
My ride, currently on an 883 with throw over bags, is 45 minutes one way, all city. Everything I need, rainsuit, etc., fits fine. Apparently I travel lighter than some. The reason I am going to "bump up" is that the financial opportunity to do so is coming, but it has been STRONGLY suggested by the bean counter that I better like what I buy for about 10 years.

then for me and just my input keep the 883 and get a road glide :bikerguy:

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
The Deluxe is a very nice bike. If you are commuting 45 minutes and it's all through the city then I'm sure you are stopping at a lot of lights. You will want something not too heavy with a low seat height so you are comfortable at all of the stops. Have you sat on a Dyna Low Rider? I've always liked them.

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Check out the Fatboy. More comfy than a Slim. Will need some bags or a bag eventually. I put the HD luggage rack on back fender then added a good size travel bag to carry my work stuff. Kept work shoes & extra socks at work. Riding in Florida windshield would be nice during the Love Bug season.
The Fatboy would keep your bean counter happy on rides, something to consider. Good Luck

·
Registered
632 Posts
I second a Fatboy, good for commuting and can add to it for longer trips with pretty good comfort,

·
Registered
12,941 Posts

·
American
28,662 Posts
Deluxe with quick detach windshield and bags. Use to have one and could change look and use of bike in 5mins. That is if you have to have a Softail. Touring bike is the way to go in my opinion now that I have had both.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts