Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those familiar with the Softail frame. Circa 1999.
The main breakers/fuses are located in a box attached towards the front of the lower rear fender.

For T~S I am going to a swingarm mounted fender.

I do not want the components, connections, harnesses subjected to the movement and beating they could now take no longer being protected by the suspension.

A partial solution is to shorten the harnesses, go to a smaller breaker box and relocate it to inside the oil tank battery tray.

Here is where the problem comes in.
Standard 12v cycle batteries take up all but a very small of area in the tray. Meaning no room for even the smallest breaker boxes I was able to find.

Thought I had found a solution using a lithium ion battery.
But concern has been expressed to me about going that route. Guess there have been cases of them "exploding".
Though have heard similar about lad/acid if the charging system goes on the fritz.

I can use a battery of standard height and depth.
Length is the problem.
The lithium ions I have found are roughly half the length. Which gives me the room for a box.
Anyone aware of other types/size batteries that may work for my application?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
For those familiar with the Softail frame. Circa 1999.
The main breakers/fuses are located in a box attached towards the front of the lower rear fender.

For T~S I am going to a swingarm mounted fender.

I do not want the components, connections, harnesses subjected to the movement and beating they could now take no longer being protected by the suspension.

A partial solution is to shorten the harnesses, go to a smaller breaker box and relocate it to inside the oil tank battery tray.

Here is where the problem comes in.
Standard 12v cycle batteries take up all but a very small of area in the tray. Meaning no room for even the smallest breaker boxes I was able to find.

Thought I had found a solution using a lithium ion battery.
But concern has been expressed to me about going that route. Guess there have been cases of them "exploding".

Though have heard similar about lad/acid if the charging system goes on the fritz.

I can use a battery of standard height and depth.
Length is the problem.
The lithium ions I have found are roughly half the length. Which gives me the room for a box.
Anyone aware of other types/size batteries that may work for my application?

It's a motorcycle. Everything about it has a risk factor above "normal." Besides, it they all exploded, they couldn't sell them.

--

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
The Lithium batteries for motorcycle and car use, are Lithium iron phospate, not really subject to burning or exploding.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Besides, if they all exploded, they couldn't sell them.

--
True.

The Lithium batteries for motorcycle and car use, are Lithium iron phospate, not really subject to burning or exploding.
That is what I needed to hear. :) Thanks Bobf.
They are not cheap. But seem to be my best solution.
Nice to know I can move on to the next hic-up in T~S`s build and put this one to rest.

This is my first Softail so learning the differences as I go.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I have two different brands. One from Stark and one from Bike Master. Both seem to work nicely. The small 12ah will crank my Sportster just fine, and is about 1/2 the size of the "normal" battery. This one is not the recommended battery for a Sportster, but tried it anyway before putting it in the Lifan LF-250, where it lives. Only about 2/3 the size of the stock battery for that bike as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts