Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking an alternator off of one Evo and putting it on another. The HD Service Manual shows a spacer in front of the rotor and another behind the rotor, these 2 I have. But, it also shows a "variable thickness spacer" next to the front spacer. Either I lost this one or it never had one to start with. Is it possible that it never did have this? The Manual also states that if the difference between the front and rear sprockets is more than .030" you need to add or pull out a variable thickness spacer to get this measurement. Thirty thou isn't much, can it be off a little more than this?

·
Retired citizen
23,209 Posts
The variable thickness spacer is used to get the chain in alignment. It aligns the comp sprocket with the clutch sprocket.
Assemble the comp sprocket with your available parts and snug everything down. Then use a straight edge along the chain and measure from the chain to the inside of the inner case. If it's within spec you're good to go, if not use the correct thickness spacer to get in spec.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The picture in the service manual shows them using a dial caliper, I think I'm going to put on my reading glasses and use a stainless steel metric ruler. I found out that 1 millimeter is about .040". If it's not off by 1 mil, I'm going to run it.

·
Retired citizen
23,209 Posts
I use a steel ruler and straight edge when I check the chain alignment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts