Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started hearing a loud "clanking/banging/slapping" sound in the primary on warm starts when my '06 Deluxe had ~27,000 miles in the summer of 2013. I experienced "failure" in Nov '13 when it sounded like a "can of bolts" and medal grinding. The dealer couldn't reproduce the sound initially but finally told me it was the compensator. I replaced both compensator and slider cam with stock OEM and had initial success but started hearing the banging noise on start up almost immediately. Since mine is a 2006 and the SE Compensator is only for 2007 and later, I feel I'm stuck in the middle! After google and forum research, the issue seems a bit more common. The "can of bolts" noise finally returned in November '14 with only ~4000 miles on the new compensator. I checked the nut and it's tight so I'm not seeing the loosening issue. Any advise and/or tips like after market compensator, advise in dealing with HD, etc... are greatly appreciated!! Thanks - Jim

2006 FLSTNI Softail Deluxe, Woods TW6 Cams, Stage 1 SE air, Sampson True Duels, Power Commander, SE 6 Speed, SE 95" Big Bore. Bought it new, babied it since.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts