Harley Davidson Forums banner

Compensator on 09 FLHTCU - New Thread April 2015

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  skeeter55 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, had the dealership run the BOM for the R&R of my compensator. Around $550 but $52 is the damn adhesive. Does anyone know if there is a suitable adhesive from a different source? Also, I don't know which compensator is installed now. Bought the bike July '14 with 60k on it. Now have 70k. If it turns out to already have the SE compensator I assume that changes the necessary BOM. Any input? Dealer is 3 miles away and says they are always in stock on these parts. So I guess I won't purchase until I open 'er up. By the way very good people at Gunnink's HD in Ukiah CA.

#3 ·
Hey webco2 I thought I acknowledged your posting some days ago but I do not see it. So thanks for your info. Job went well, however previous owner or his mechanic screwed up 3 fasteners and one inner primary threaded hole. It was one with the dowel bushing so had to heli-coil could not time-sert. I also realized that 5 out of 5 derby cover bolt holes had been time-serted. Previous tech must not have owned a torque wrench.

#5 ·
How did you know it was the compensator? I am getting an awful grinding/clunking noise but only start up and not every time. I also notice some strange noise when it bogs down if I am in too low of a gear. It is a 08 Ultra and I am still getting used to the gearing. I know I should just take the cover off and look but I haven't had time yet.

#6 ·
How did you know it was the compensator? I am getting an awful grinding/clunking noise but only start up and not every time. I also notice some strange noise when it bogs down if I am in too low of a gear. It is a 08 Ultra and I am still getting used to the gearing. I know I should just take the cover off and look but I haven't had time yet.
What you have described is your first clue. :thumbsup

Check the comp before more goes wrong . :)

#7 ·
I am learning not to let go off the start button until it is running, not that that is going to protect anything. Today I tried putting it in 1st gear and holding the brake while slowly letting out the clutch. It started the clunking noise before it got close to the point of stalling.
This stinks. Haven't had this bike for a year yet. 30K miles, I guess it could be worse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.