Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Fatbob with the stock 103" engine. I've decided to install a Woods Tw-777 cam along with Woods lifters and S&S adjustable pushrods. It also already has the SE heavy breather and Rinehart Crossbacks 2 into 2 setup. I know these cams are more useful with a bump in CR and headwork but the piggy bank won't spit out that much right now, hopefully next season. So my question is would it be beneficial to install a .030 head gasket to try and help this cam setup for now until I can afford the proper upgrades to compliment it? And if so, what would my CR be with the .030 gasket? I believe the stock CR is 9.6. I forgot to mention that I am upgrading the inner cam bearings and have the SEST. Thanks for anyone that could advise me on this!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
nitro freak
1,264 Posts
if your going to bother to take the heads off to go .030,mill them to desired compression,set the 777`s at 10.5-1 (if you dont raise the compression,dont use the 777 cams or it will be flat as hell)

·
Registered
737 Posts
is it an option to just go to the thinner head gasket and advance your cams 4 degrees

i beleive stock is .045 so by removing the .015 alone should get you up to 9.9:1

and the cam really doesnt have that late of an intake closeing from the get its 42 degrees so the -4 from that will get you to 38

one other thing to check is make sure you are at zero deck height...and your piston isnt down in the bore at all when the motor is at TDC ...if it is next CHEAP option is to leave the base gasket out...

i dont know if you need quite 10.5:1 but i would want atleast 10 to 10.25

however i will also add that my buddy has a 2011 (i believe) street glide with the 96 inch same rinehart pipes and intake and hes running the se 211 cam with no compression bump its pretty good off the line still and his intake closes at 45 degrees which bleeds more compression then the 42...

many options for you, i feel with the 103 and the 777 cam...whatever you decide to do you will be happy

you will always be leaving power on the table without running as high of a compression as possible on pump gas..but if you only plan on riding it this year until you get pistons...then id advance the cams 4 degrees and go to the thin head gasket...

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Do not frog around via advancing the cam, as it'll pinch you on the top.
Run it straight up, and the best is to set the mechanical ratio as Kirby has already made mention of.
We've worked with the Wood cams since 1996, so trust what I am suggesting.
Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all of your advice. I guess I will just install it as is and run it. Scott, I will be contacting you next March to have the heads, jugs, TB and pistons all set up to make this a bad motor scooter. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
That shop was once Gilberts H-D, which someone we know at one time was collecting workmens comp from them, while conducting business (cyber-shop) out of a mobile, window-less storage shed in the trailer park where he lived...........as told to us,by that person.......

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Thank you for all of your advice. I guess I will just install it as is and run it. Scott, I will be contacting you next March to have the heads, jugs, TB and pistons all set up to make this a bad motor scooter. Thanks again.

We will be looking forward to lending a hand to insure all goes as planned.
Once you get it wrapped up Ray C's, in Lapeer, can put the tune on it.:bikerguy:
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts