Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Heritage, recently purchased. It has screaming eagle big bore heads, cnc ported, with manual compression release valves. When should I release the compression? It currently starts right up. Should I release them every time I start it or just when it has difficulties?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have any idea of the static compression or what cam it has in it. The HD dealership had it listed as an 88ci, but my understanding is being it had the big bore kit installed, by the previous owner, that it is actually a 95ci. Could it still be an 88? First bike so I have a lot to learn about the parts and mechanics.

·
Registered
36,951 Posts
Should do it every time you start. You don't want to be paying to have your starter clutch replaced cause of wearing it out by not using compression releases.

Is it carb or EFI? If a carb bike, you may wish to only use one of the compression releases so that the motor creates enough vacuum to assist fuel flow through the vacuum operated fuel valve when it's been sitting an extended period of time.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
Going down the road at 60 mph. If it starts fine without them then don't use them. Was the starter changed to a high torque? That's one reason you won't need to use them.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Press them down every time you go to start the bike.
Especially when it´s warm.:nod

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
I was told every time before starting it period. Just get in the habit of pushing them in once you shut the bike off.

Isn´t that what I said?:think

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
Why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts