Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not see this anywhere else - so I will ask here:

My bike sits in my garage. My garage is not heated - it is finished - but not heated. This is the first year it has happened. Temps change in Missouri so fast. One morning you get up - it is 65 degrees already -but by the end of the day it could be 20.

But now - condensation is on all my Chrome. Why? And What can I do? Help. :notw::banghead

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Do you cover your bike? Make sure that you have a breathable cover and not a waterproof.

A good coat of wax is the best protection. A dehumidifier is not going to do you a whole lot of good if the temperature is not controlled.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
TA-DAA! The Harley Bubble! Perfect!

Not as expensive as you'd think, $208 at Zanotti's 94662-98
https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php

Seriously, if you had a way to put a small electric heater under a cover like this, and some smart temperature control, it you just kept the inside of the bubble 5 degrees warmer than the outside, that would do it.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
Another way, if you had a way to keep the surfaces of the bike just a little warmer than the air around it, especially when the humidity and chill were high, a heat-lamp and foil covered wall behind the bike, or several smaller floodlights.

...or maybe just a small fan? Wouldn't it be almost impossible for condensation to form if there was air flowing over the bike?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Covering a bike ALONE will not stop condensation. It's due to cold metal and warmer ambient temps.

Air warms quicker then dense steel.

The best thing you can do to fight it are 3 simple steps:

1.) Moisture barrier under the bike. If it sits on raw cement, then place a piece of old carpeting under the bike, or a large sheet of rubber. Not to be confused with rubber sheets...... although, they'd work as well.

2.) Cover the bike with a soft cover, like old sheets, or an old blanket. DO NOT use plastic.

3.) Get a cheap-O fan from K-Mart/Wally-Mart and run it on low, facing under the cover.

As stated, keep your chrome waxed.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do ride it - what was that thing Nathang had - it looked like a toy Harley - Limited Edition model you sit on a shelf somewhere.

Beautiful Dave - you are the man. That is what I will do.

I have so much chrome on that bike - that is why once we get salt layed down on the roads around here - you are pretty hard pressed to see anyone riding their bike. I usually will wait for a good rain before I ride it.

Just odd this is the first year it happened. I have plenty of spare carpet - a "soft blanky" - and a cheap fan. So there ya go. Thank you guys.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TA-DAA! The Harley Bubble! Perfect!

Not as expensive as you'd think, $208 at Zanotti's 94662-98
https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php

Seriously, if you had a way to put a small electric heater under a cover like this, and some smart temperature control, it you just kept the inside of the bubble 5 degrees warmer than the outside, that would do it.
Isn't that a toy model bike you sit on a shelf? It doesn't even look real. Is it real?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Yes.....they actually make them.

·
Slave to the grind
567 Posts
I have the same problem. I keep a fan blowing on my bike all the time. Problem solved!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
It doesn't even look real. Is it real?
That's why I posted the HD part number and the Zanotti's part price look-up page.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Just build a ramp onto your porch. Push the bike into the living room. Problem solved!

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,201 Posts
Lots more time to polish on it, when it's in the house too.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts