Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm pretty new here, and I hope this is the right forum to post this question since I believe it's body related. But, I noticed last night before I went for a ride on my new 2012 Iron 883 that condensation is starting to build up in my right tail light. I only have 267 miles on it, and wasn't sure if I should just contact my dealer about it, because I don't really want to bring it in to get fixed and get a bill afterwards, I feel like with only 267 miles on it that there was something wrong with it from the start.

I bought it a couple months ago and it's been garage kept since. Just thought I would ask for some advice, thanks all.:thumbsup

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't know about the tail lights, but myself and a couple of friends have later model Sportys and we all get condensation in our speedometers when ridin'... (I was gonna say 'speedos', but thought better as that may have been susceptible to multiple interpretations...hehehe).

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I noticed last night before I went for a ride on my new 2012 Iron 883 that condensation is starting to build up in my right tail light.
Iron has 2 rear lights that are turnsignals and brake lights, as dows the Nightster.

Pull the lens off. It snaps off. Look to see if O-ting is broken. If it is, take it to dealer. If it isn't, then wipe out water or leave lens off over night and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Iron has 2 rear lights that are turnsignals and brake lights, as dows the Nightster.

Pull the lens off. It snaps off. Look to see if O-ting is broken. If it is, take it to dealer. If it isn't, then wipe out water or leave lens off over night and you'll be fine.
How would water get in there if the O-ring wasn't broken? Just curious, I haven't used any high pressure water on it.

I noticed it looks like there's an edge on the light where it can pop off, so I'll try taking it off when I get back from work tonight.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
How would water get in there if the O-ring wasn't broken?
Because it's "water resistant", not "water proof". The O-ring is there to assist in preventing water from getting in between a molded plastic lens that's "snapped" into place, not held with screws or with any great certainty.

There's also a pathway where the wires come through the mount, into the light housing, to the socket that water can get into, and that's not sealed at all....

It's a turn signal housing.....not a U-boat. :laugh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Because it's "water resistant", not "water proof".
Gotcha, I'm new to this motorcycle stuff, so thanks for bearing with me :) Sounds like what happened to my tail lights on my Acura. Found out the gaskets on the tail lights were faulty from factory, and couldn't hold water very well, so my tail lights filled up with water/condensation pretty fast. It happened years after I bought it so hopefully if the o-rings on the bike are faulty I can get them replaced without having to spend money!

Thanks again:thumbsup

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Gotcha, I'm new to this motorcycle stuff, so thanks for bearing with me :) Sounds like what happened to my tail lights on my Acura. Found out the gaskets on the tail lights were faulty from factory, and couldn't hold water very well, so my tail lights filled up with water/condensation pretty fast. It happened years after I bought it so hopefully if the o-rings on the bike are faulty I can get them replaced without having to spend money!

Thanks again:thumbsup
I'd pull it apart if it were mine. Similar to your Acura, the wire passage for the lamp acts as a "vent" to allow condensation to vent off, with the aid of the heat from the bulb.

With that being said, the bulb's heat can cause minor condensation in a cold climate, inside a cold, metal housing. Hot bulb, cold metal.

Your Acura has a dedicated rubber tube that vents off moisture as well. :thumbsup

Unusual to see it in suck a small light, but then again, I get condensation in my fuel guage and air temp guage on my Ultra in the winter, when going from my garage to riding in the colder winter air.

Pop the lens off, dry it out, and if it happens again. I'm almost 100% positive there's an O-ring on the newer models, where there wasn't one on the older ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I popped the lens off after work yesterday and the O-ring looked fine, at this point there wasn't any condensation because it's been around 80 degrees for the past few days, just cold in the morning.

I called my dealership and told them the situation and said if it continues I can bring it in and they would replace the o-ring for free. :)

Thanks for the help so far. Popped the lens back together this morning and rode into work again. Another scorcher today, we've set record high temps for the past week.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I popped the lens off after work yesterday and the O-ring looked fine, at this point there wasn't any condensation because it's been around 80 degrees for the past few days, just cold in the morning.

I called my dealership and told them the situation and said if it continues I can bring it in and they would replace the o-ring for free. :)

Thanks for the help so far. Popped the lens back together this morning and rode into work again. Another scorcher today, we've set record high temps for the past week.
Condensation

Don't even think I would have noticed lol.

We've had real warm days here in ny too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Condensation

Don't even think I would have noticed lol.

We've had real warm days here in ny too
Well I checked again yesterday, it's been down in the 10's and 20's here once again. There was some frozen condensation inside the tail light, I took it apart and just kind of investigated and the gasket/o-ring seems to have cracks in the plastic/rubber, so I brought it down to my dealer and they gave me 2 new ones and told me if it doesn't work, then to bring the bike in and they will fix it at no charge. :thumbsup

I might have just gotten unlucky with the draw on these, hopefully it's not a problem for all 2012 Iron owners!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 110th Anniversary Ultra Limited with just over 9K miles and noticed condensation in my speedometer (very little) and search lights (a LOT!). I have the extended warranty as well. When I called a couple of local dealers they both said they were aware of the problem(s), but that Harley refuses to back it as part of their warranty. They both recommended contacting Harley directly and I'm in the process of sending them pictures and seeing if they will stand behind their bikes. I have to say I'm really disappointed in the level of quality that seems to have gone into the bike. Anyone else having this issue?

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,067 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,561 Posts

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,067 Posts
Jeez, Gold.

That's just what that thread needs is MORE followers.

Saw the word condensation.... just couldn't help myself.... at least I warned em:eek

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
My experience with condensation and motorcycles.

About two years ago I installed Kuryaken (sic) LED rear blinkers and tail light. I noticed a couple of days later that the left blinker had some condensation in it.

Two years later, guess which of the three added lights failed?

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Gold thanks for the revive. I saw this and immediately wondered if his dryer was vented into the garage. ��

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yep...me too...was wondering how long it would take for some one to bring up the dryer thread...:rofl:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts