Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New to the community and have been kicking around the idea of buying my first Harley for a while now. Saw my first Old Boy today and was hooked. What a sweet ride!

Here's my concern. This particular bike has an S&S motor. I believe a 96. As experienced Harley enthusiasts, would you consider buying an Old Boy without the original engine?

Does the engine replacement hurt or help the value as compared to listed book value? Want to be sure I get a fair price. Thanks in advance for your opinion.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Old Boy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<<Here's what I found on the "Old Boy">>
The 1997 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Heritage Springer motorcycle was nicknamed the “Old Boy” by Harley-Davidson because it was designed to look like classic Harleys of bygone days.

The 1997 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Heritage Springer motorcycle was initially available only in white with either red or blue trim. Black was the standard color in 1998, though maroon-and-gold 95th Anniversary editions were also offered; since then, other colors have been added.

As the nickname suggests, this model was designed to look like Harley-Davidsons of years past. Though "retro" styling was certainly nothing new to the company, this model looked further back than the others: specifically, to the 1940s.

The front fender design dated from before World War II, as did the fender light. Forties-style springer forks had been reincarnated by Harley-Davidson in the late 1980s, but up to now had been used only on custom models.

Tank badges mimicked those from 1940 to 1946, and the fringed saddlebags and "tombstone" taillight were in use during the same period.

Otherwise, the Old Boy enjoyed the modern mechanicals of the other Harley Big Twins, including front and rear disc brakes, 80-cubic-inch Evolution V-twin, and belt drive.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Never heard of it, sounds rare.
An S&S motor would not scare me away.

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
Scottyard, is this what you're referring to? If it is, it's awfully sweet! :thumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Softail frame,springer front s&s motor....hmmm. id be all over it for the right price. Figure it would go for 8 to 10grand in my neck of the woods if its clean and under 80000 miles. I have noticed prices are a bit steeper here than they are further east. Sportsters are about 5 grand here for any year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the one Classich.

I figured 10k would be about fair for it but didn't know for sure. I'm torn from going with what I really think looks cool and something more modern that my ass will appreciate more.. lol

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
6500.00 because of the motor. Good motor just not the original. That takes away from the value .

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
S&S should be fine but you might need the paperwork for the motor in addition to clean title. Down here in Texas, if you don't have the motor paperwork, they can take it until you can prove its not stolen. Something to keep in mind.

$10k sounds a little steep. I would expect it in the $6500 range as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts