Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking for my first Harley and I've been poking around the various classifieds looking for a used one of some sort when I came across a '09 Heritage Softail Classic with about 10000 miles on it. Besides the usual service records, tires or battery that may be due for a change is there anything else I should be looking for on this year/model of bike that has been problematic? Engine or electrical issues for example? It appears to be stock.

·
Harley Rider
10,489 Posts
That's a nice bike. It has the 96ci in it but it should be fine. It has everything you need to get going.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the 103 unless you are a power junky. There really isn'y all that much difference anyway. My brother has a TC88 on his 2004 softail, and he asked me why I thought about upgrading my 2013 super glide.

If you decide later it's only a jug and piston change. My 96 runs fine as is. I think the biggest thing that could help either of them is a cam change.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The Heritage is a great bike. I rode one before switching to an Electra Glide. If the price is right, you really can't go wrong with one. As for the year, there is nothing I would be concerned about.

The overall design of the Heritage is mostly unchanged for more than a decade. The 96" motor is just slightly bigger bored but essentially the original twin cam. It also has the new cam chain tensioner design, which is a plus. And the 6 speed transmission. Sometime around 2007 or so, the changed the shape of the factory handlebars on the Heritage. But, is terms of how they sit, and how they handle, you won't tell much difference at all in the many years of the Twin Cam Heritage.

If it speaks to you, snatch it up and ride the crap out of it. You'll love it for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts