Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Ultra and I know it has a constant battery drain from the proximity security and clock, etc. My question is, do other things suck juice if the fob is left near the bike? I left my fob in my truck which is next to my scoot and I took the scoot off trickle because I needed the plug for the gazillion yard ornaments I had up for Christmas. After two weeks, the battery's deader than Mike Tyson's career.

thanks,

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
I don't know. He did a pretty solid job in the Hangover. I think there is still some life there.

My BO sat for about a full month off the charger 4 feet from the fob and cranked right up. I do have the security also. Not sure if there is something bagger specific, GPS maybe, that might keep sucking.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,457 Posts
Ronnie, a year old battery should not go dead like that in such a short time span. Either the battery is bad or you have a parasitic drain above and beyond the normal onboard computer stuff. For what it's worth, I had a battery on mine that was among a batch of known defective batteries, and when I asked the service people to check it because it was showing signs of failing, they found it to be one of the bad ones and replaced it under warranty. Note that no notice ever went out to the owners.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,457 Posts
I was going to say something similar to that, Mason, but figured you'd be along sooner or later.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I have a 2014 Ultra and I know it has a constant battery drain from the proximity security and clock, etc. My question is, do other things suck juice if the fob is left near the bike? I left my fob in my truck which is next to my scoot and I took the scoot off trickle because I needed the plug for the gazillion yard ornaments I had up for Christmas. After two weeks, the battery's deader than Mike Tyson's career.

thanks,
Once a GlassMat goes completely dead, its almost unheard of to bring it all the way back up to full charge . Time for a new battery..I know...not what you wanted to hear.

As far as all of the new "things" on a 2014, they do draw a significant amount of current just sitting there. :)

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
Wasn't there a regulator recall for the 2014s ?
If you got the bike new you would have gotten a MoCo recall notice.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Sears sells a multimeter that has a setting to test DC amps. I got mind for $10 around thanksgiving time.

You could pull the 40 amp maxi fuse (terminology?) while the bike is off and check to see how many amps it's taking.

Btw, my '08 hasn't seen a tender since I bought it with 14,000 miles in '13. Still the original battery. :D

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I pulled the battery and hooked it up to my car battery charger on 2 amps. Took about 5 hours for it to register in the green zone. Put it back in, it lugged a bit, but fired up. Left it running for about 15 minutes. Turned it off, it started right back up. However, when I reconnected the tender, it's been on "red charging" for over 24 hours. Never would go back to "green-charged". I'm thinking it's discharging more than the 0.75 amps the tender churns out. I have two tenders, same for both.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Put both tenders on at the same time. ;)

Try letting it on for a week or two. It may come back but like someone said. Once it's fully dead once it may never come back to full charge again.

·
Banned
71 Posts
The best I've had happen is to use one of the old style chargers ( not one with electronic cut offs ) , and leave it on the two amp setting, don't let the battery get hot to the touch tho . Do the charging, out of the bike, on the bench . Let it charge until it gets up to full voltage after being unhooked for a full hour ( I've let it charge a full week before ) .

I wish you luck... :)

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
If it has a bad cell, it wont hold a charge for very long and will eventually not hold a charge at all. You will see the downward spiral quickly. Especially in this cold weather. Of course your weather is not as cold as Chicago's, but cold enough to see the flaws in your battery.

I got my replacement here. Great price fast delivery no charge for shipping

http://www.batterymart.com/c-motorcycle-batteries.html

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Isn't the battery still under warranty?

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts

thanks,
Well, I pulled the battery and hooked it up to my car battery charger on 2 amps. Took about 5 hours for it to register in the green zone. Put it back in, it lugged a bit, but fired up. Left it running for about 15 minutes. Turned it off, it started right back up. However, when I reconnected the tender, it's been on "red charging" for over 24 hours. Never would go back to "green-charged". I'm thinking it's discharging more than the 0.75 amps the tender churns out. I have two tenders, same for both.

All this just "feels" like a bad, or at least weak, battery. There will always be a ton of discussion in here about the science of testing and diagnosing this kind of problem, but sometimes you just have to cut to the chase and go with your gut. (And some of us have ample "guts", lol.) Really, though, gut feelings come from your experience and can be trusted to a point.

I just replaced my battery recently. It tested good, it was a reputable brand, and it was rated above spec. It had that characteristic hesitation when I hit the starter, but I was constantly worried about a potential failure. It made me wonder about everything from my cables and connections ( which I replaced -- with no improvement) to my starter, which I did NOT want to replace. The new battery cleared up all the doubt. It starts beautifully now like a new bike and it just feels right.

A weak battery can make you suspect everything electrical or electronic. And they're more common than many of us realize.

--

·
GO AVS
890 Posts
Bad battery for sure. My 13 ultra fired up after 3 weeks with the fob in a windshield bag. If you different tenders cannot get it green battery is bad! Warranty it!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Retired citizen
23,358 Posts
I would charge the battery up as good as you can. Then run the bike for a while then let it sit for about 15 minutes off. Take a volt measure across the terminals static, if it doesn't measure at least 12.8v either the charging system isn't working or the battery is bad.
You can test the charging system also to eliminate that as the problem, leaving the battery as the culprit.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The best I've had happen is to use one of the old style chargers ( not one with electronic cut offs ) , and leave it on the two amp setting, don't let the battery get hot to the touch tho . Do the charging, out of the bike, on the bench . Let it charge until it gets up to full voltage after being unhooked for a full hour ( I've let it charge a full week before ) .

I wish you luck... :)
This worked. Left it on 2amp car charger, returned it to the scoot, it lugged but started, then hooked the tender back up and it recognized it. 24 hours later, tender light was green. All is well.

Thanks

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
This worked. Left it on 2amp car charger, returned it to the scoot, it lugged but started, then hooked the tender back up and it recognized it. 24 hours later, tender light was green. All is well.
Thanks
Houston Ron,

These newer bikes draw a lot of parasitic current while sitting around. Besides the security system, the radio is constantly drawing current to maintain your channel presets, etc.

With my previous bikes, I used to pull the battery and leave it in my basement for the winter and occasionally I would put it on a trickle charger to keep it up to peak.

This time around, with my new 2014 FLHX, I decided to leave the battery in and keep it on a Battery Tender Jr. all the time while in the garage for the winter. A friend of mine kept his battery installed and on the charger 24/7 throughout the winter hibernation season and he had that battery for over 8 years without a problem. So this is why I decided to try the same thing.

You should do the same; keep the battery on the charger continuously while storing it.

Also, your bike should be under the two year warranty. So should be the battery.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts