Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m putting a new starter clutch and solenoid in my 2000 Road King. I have an unopened quart of HD 20w50 that I wanted to use in primary instead of my usual synthetic Mobil 1. Is this ok to use conventional oil? Is 1 quart the recommended amount to use? Thank you!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
HD recommended their branded 20w50 in all 3 holes for many years, so you will be ok. Fill to bottom of clutch basket. It is better to be a little low on primary oil, than to overfill.

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
1 qt. 20W50 engine oil is good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just pulled off primary case and discovered some damaged teeth on ring gear. Time for new ring gear. Engine is
upgraded high compression R&R motor. Are replacing ring gears pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just pulled off primary case and discovered some damaged teeth on ring gear. Time for new ring gear. Engine is View attachment 785853 upgraded high compression R&R motor. Are replacing ring gears pretty straight forward?
My ring gear is riveted on. Does that mean I have to buy the whole clutch basket assembly? I noticed that they sell the ring gears separately with bolts. Is this an option if I drill out the rivets? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts