Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what kind of clothing you all use in the summer when it is hotter than hell out? I have got a 3 week trip coming up this summer in July, and all I have gotten so far is moisture wicking long sleeve white shirts that are supposed to be cool.
Does any body use the vests that you soak in water or any of the other systems out there and if so what can you suggest. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I use LD Comfort undergarments, year round. On long distance trips, I usually go with the long sleeve mock turtle neck and tights with their socks. The fabric is moisture wicking so I don't get hot as long as I am moving, plus the long sleeve and mock turtle neck prevent sunburn. I have short sleeve shirts and shorts from them also that I use for day trips. Just don't forget the sunscreen.

I have a mesh jacket from Joe Rocket that has pretty decent air flow. The jacket does have armor, which is only slightly vented, at the elbows, shoulders and spine that get a little warm, but never the excessive clammy or slippery sensation. I used to ride in just a t-shirt but never felt entirely at ease with that notion should I encounter a get-off. The mesh jacket offers good protection while still offering decent air-flow to keep me cool.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I ride in Texas and just sweat my balls off sometimes. I'm too cheap to do anything else. Jeans, boots, boxers and a tshirt with a leather vest. My helmet liner smells like a chicken coop.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I ride in Texas and just sweat my balls off sometimes. I'm too cheap to do anything else. Jeans, boots, boxers and a tshirt with a leather vest. My helmet liner smells like a chicken coop.
Go to HEB's and buy you some Febreze ya titewad. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is this the right place to insert the upcoming, if I don't say it first, MonkeyButt Powder comment??..:nod Oh yea...I'm the man.

Attachments

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
My new motorcycle shoes:

w6J8T.jpg

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this the right place to insert the upcoming, if I don't say it first, MonkeyButt Powder comment??..:nod Oh yea...I'm the man.
This is the wrong stuff. Sounds like he needs a jug of Monkey Balls powder.
Did he also mean that he gets "Chicken Head"?
Hmmm Chicken Head and sweaty balls, I am starting to see a pattern here.:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
I have the Harley cooling vest
Part Number 98201-13VM
Only wear it when it's over 100 degrees.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Harley cooling vest
Part Number 98201-13VM
Only wear it when it's over 100 degrees.
How much does it help and does it last long enough before you you have to re soak it?

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
I have an 11 year old First Gear silver colored mesh jacket with a removable thin nylon liner and armor. I use it all the time but not the liner. The few times that I opted not to wear it, I felt "naked". Some of the guys I ride with think I'm crazy wearing a jacket in the heat when they all just wear T-shirts. I use it for several reasons:

1. It should protect me if I go down. I like my skin just the way it is.
2. It protects me from the direct sun. Again, I like my skin the way it is; healthy.
3. I found over the years that the silver exterior on this jacket actually reflects the heat off me when I am riding and it feels cooler than having the hot direct sun "cooking" my skin. Sure, it gets hot when I am stopped but I tolerate it for those times when I am sitting in traffic.

In addition to the jacket I wear blue jeans and my riding boots all the time in any weather or temperature.

·
Road Junkie
1,917 Posts
Like DLM, I too have adopted the long-sleeve, moisture wicking shirts. I also have the HD cooling vests, but usually don't pull them out under 90 degrees. In the Texas heat/humidity, they usually last until the next rest stop (90-120 minutes), sometimes a little longer. They drop the temp about 10 degrees on your core body area. Still hot, but much more tolerable.

I just splurged for a 4-season (for Texas) mesh jacket and liner from Motoport. It's a little more $$$ than others, but offers a Kevlar weave that protects the skin better than the polyester mesh jackets, which will melt into your skin in the event of an unfortunate, untimely dismount. I had them put H-D reflective patches on the front and rear for proper branding and a little more safety at night.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
How much does it help and does it last long enough before you you have to re soak it?

The most I've done with it on is 160 miles in 106 temp. It was good for that distance but was dried at that time. I've heard of ppl doing 250 miles easy.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I use a cooling vest, once broken in and soaked to manufacturers specs it lasts about 4-5 hours in 96 degree heat. If you get one make sure it fits snug, that's the whole point of keeping the evaporating moisture close to the body. I also have a Tourmaster jacket that has a removable liner and then it is a complete mesh jacket with armor.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
As I type this post, it is 20 degrees outside - it's snowing, sleeting and there is some freezing rain mixed in. It is going to take a bit of effort to even remember what it is like to be too warm on a motorcycle.

I don't ride behind a windshield in the summer. That is a good start - getting some wind on you. I wear a mesh vented jacket made by Firstgear, vented gloves by Speed & Strength [Trial by Fire, as I recall] and a pair of Alpinestars SMX3 vented boots. I also have a pair of vented riding pants for really hot days.

All of this vented gear works great on hot days. But for it to work, you have to get some air moving over it. If you have a bike with a fairing, windshield and lowers, you will be cooler than if you were wearing traditional gear, but not anywhere near as cool as you would be on a naked bike. [I ride a 2009 Dyna.]

I have never had any luck with the base layers that are except to keep you dry and cool. Terrama makes a t-shirt from a synthetic fabric that keeps you dryer, unless you are really sweating, but it is the same stuff that keeps you warm in the winter - go figure.

I pretty much wear cotton shirts in the summer. The fact that they don't easily remove water from your skin is not much of an issue when you are wearing a vented jacket over it and the wind is evaporating any moisture on your skin. Anyone who lives in a cold winter climate, and I do, knows that 'cotton kills.' I figured that those properties of cotton that make it such a bad fabric in the cold probably make it a great fabric in heat. I lived in Florida of most of my life, I know what heat is.

It is my opinion that a vented jacket will keep you cooler than no jacket at all, primarily because it keeps the sun from directly heating up your skin. Most vented jackets come with a zip-in rain liner that will keep you warmer on those cool summer days and nights in the mountains. My jacket has a rain liner and an insulated liner. It is pretty much a three season jacket.

Pete

I was just wondering what kind of clothing you all use in the summer when it is hotter than hell out? I have got a 3 week trip coming up this summer in July, and all I have gotten so far is moisture wicking long sleeve white shirts that are supposed to be cool.
Does any body use the vests that you soak in water or any of the other systems out there and if so what can you suggest. Thanks in advance.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a mesh jacket that I have never worn with a removeable liner. I think I will take out the liner and get a Revit evaporative cooling vest to go underneath. Often times in the summer I just wear a T shirt but on a 3 week trip that will be a lot of sun exposure every day so the mesh liner should work good. I was going to bring my FXRG coat with the regular liner and a 12V heated liner along with the mesh jacket, but I dont want to carry 2 jackets. I will have the wife with me and will be limited on space.

So to sum it up, I will bring the mesh jacket and heated liner for cool days, then replace the heated liner with with the evaporative liner for hot sunny days.
Thanks for everybody's input.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
This is the wrong stuff. Sounds like he needs a jug of Monkey Balls powder.
Did he also mean that he gets "Chicken Head"?
Hmmm Chicken Head and sweaty balls, I am starting to see a pattern here.:thumbsup:thumbsup
Bwahahahaha! Shut up. :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Have been using a wet bandana around my neck on hot rides. Keeps my neck from getting chaffed by the leather, too. Thought about getting one of those similar things at the store, where you soak it good and it lasts for a long time, but they only come in pink or some other girl color.

My new leather jacket has vents I can open. When that doesn't do it, I can go to the vest.

Hydrate at every stop. Spill some on your t-shirt and hair. Adds to the wild and crazy look.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts