Harley Davidson Forums banner
261 - 280 of 311 Posts

· Mr.
140 Posts
When you're filling your bike at a gas station and decide there is room for one more little splash in the tank, you are always wrong. The next step is running for the paper towels to clean up the mess.
Watch that drive way in gas stations as well. What may just LOOK wet like water can EASILY be spilled diesel, kerosene or oil. They are all slick enough to dump you.

EVEN if it is water, when diesel gets spilled, all they do is "spray/wash" water on it. Disguising it and making it even more slick.

I watched my wife drop hers like a peg leg goat on ice the very first time we put gas in it. I never thought a thing about that big wet spot on the other side of the pumps until she rolled in to it. Plop. Walked over there to help and yep, half diesel.

· Hit it she goes boom
5,154 Posts
If your crossover breaks dropping your right pipe, heat shields are your friend. Loosen the clamps slide it back to hold up the pipe, and ride her home.

· Hit it she goes boom
5,154 Posts

· Registered
13,614 Posts
True, but in the middle of nowhere on an interstate those things are in short supply.
I concur. Keep said wire in tool bag.

· Try'n to behave
6,779 Posts
I concur. Keep said wire in tool bag.
On my Shovel. I have some wrapped around the passenger peg to help with emergency repairs. Actually had to use it one time too. To hold my tail light up until I could get somewhere and buy some 1/4" 20 bolts to remount it.

· old scoot coot
7,317 Posts
This also works well in small airplanes when you forget to navigate. On a bike, it is helpful to have a map of your riding area so you can utilize this useful info when you find the water tower. Post Offices are similarly helpful....not so much in small airplanes.
except in texas, water towers have the name of local football team on them. bad mojo. :)

· Registered
158 Posts
I suppose I ought to go to the city and complain about ours. But plenty go complain to the city all the time and the city does nothing about anything.

What kills me is the worst one in town, about 5-6 or so inches below the road surface... very recently, they were doing sewer work over there, had to tear up the road. Tore up the whole lane it was in.

They finished working and repaved it without bothering to bring that manhole up to the road surface, just left it down. It actually has gotten lower and lower over the years. I never take that intersection and the one time I did, I forgot about it, slammed it hard at 5-10 mph and got a flat from it.

If I were rich and could find someone here that wasn't lazy, I might take it upon myself to do some constructive vandalism (like putting a plate over that one).
A bag of fence post setting concrete is cheap... fill that hole like a hot date.

· Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
When you need to spread the brake pads or pistons when changing out the pads, and/or cleaning the pistons, I use a pair of these wooden door frame shims at opposing angles and gently push on the two sides. The pistons/pads will retract back into the calipers easy peasy. Bought a 10 pack for like $3.50 at the lumber store. Plastic ones, if I could find them, would last longer the me or my bikes, lol.

· Registered
13,614 Posts
Double check your mirrors befor making a turn from a STOP Sign
About a month ago traveling down two lane road. Too my rught was a large strawberry field. Too left is housing area with 8 foot sound wall with homes behind it. About 1/4 mile straight away that dead ends to two roads connecting controlled by STOP Signs. . Traffic coming from the left is slightly blocked by sound wall. Have to stick your nose out a bit see what's coming make sure they are slowing for turn, indicators on or just blow through it. Road to right dirt . Hard to tell if field workers are going to stop or what? Comes in from field at angel easy to see them coming. Behind me two or more full size pickups. Get ready to make left turn, glance in my left mirror. Here comes Jap sport coupe in left lane passing all trucks behind me. Screams around left turn slowing just enough make it. Two things for sure could have happened. Plowed me as I started into left turn, doubt if you would reading this. Another vehicle is approaching from left hidden by sound wall. Head on wreck. Moral of the story is don't assume idiots will stay in line of traffic behind you making a turn.
Ride Safe Everyone

· 2004 Ultra Classic
2,461 Posts
#274 Yes indeed been using wood shims forever! Love the music they make while hammering to spread them.

· Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
When taking rain gear for you and the wife, (or not), on a long trip that may/may not encounter some bad weather, vacuum seal your gear down so it it fits nice and tight in the bottom of your tour pack. Pull them out as needed, let them dry, vacuum them back down with little supplied vacuum pump or maybe hotel vacuum(?), and store them till next storm!

Sleeve Grey Automotive design T-shirt Bag

Automotive tire Tread Hood Road surface Asphalt

261 - 280 of 311 Posts