Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of trading up to a Street Bob from my 2009 XL1200N, but am not impressed by H-D's cost cutting move to use gray engine covers instead of black. I think they should have used black for the Nightster's covers too, but it passes as okay. The Street Bob, no.

How much should it cost to powder coat back to black?

:Thanks

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
... but am not impressed by H-D's cost cutting move to use gray engine covers instead of black.
No cost cutting involved at all. The silver coloring on HD's engines is SILVER powdercoating, with exception of the base models that were raw aluminum with a clear powdercoat overtop.

BLACK is the cheapest color to get powdercoated, because it's the most common. You'll probably pay $100 to get 2 covers done.

I'm guessing at that cost, based on storied I've heard. I never paid to get anything powedercoated.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Cheap if you do it your self, Harbor freight gun, air compresor I already had, and powder from Caswell. Kitchen oven or an old griddle with aluminum foil hood. You could spring for an oven or lights.
Hardest thing is not get too carried away and put too thick a coat.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
As Dave said, $100. should do it. A buddy of mine just had his jugs done $60 ea.
You said your buddy has jugs......huh.....huh....hu....

·
What?
3,256 Posts
Really? Mine are chrome from factory. Of course it's a 2008.

Chrome, something else that needs special attention. I wish mine were black.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
As Dave said, $100. should do it. A buddy of mine just had his jugs done $60 ea.
I not touching this em em em no way. Lil's gonna getcha Dave:rofl:

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Me thinks Lil is about fed up with me and my wisenheiner comments.........:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts