Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was taking a ride to my moms house yesterday and I was following a car down the hwy a mile from my house. We were doing 55 miles per hour. A large breed dog (50-60lbs) ran out from behind a bush from my left. He cleared the rear of the car in front of me by inches, but realized his mistake too late. He slid to a stop in the middle of my lane after the car went by him. I don't think he saw it until it passed in from of him and scared him. If he would have kept running I would have missed him, but unfortunately he didn't. I got on the brakes when I saw him coming across the ditch to my left. The rear tire was chirping before the impact. It all seemed to happen in slow motion. I thought I was going down, because this was a pretty big dog. Right before the impact, released the brake to keep from losing control of the bike and to fully concentrate on the balance of keeping the bike upright. I did keep the bike upright, and it didn't even wobble. The poor dog hit my left fork leg and left side crash bar. I went back after I got my fruit of the looms out of the crack of my butt. Its never easy explaining to a dog owner that his dog is dead. I'm a dog lover myself, and I've lost one on this same hwy several years ago. I'm sorry about the dog, but I'm thankful I didn't go down at 55 mph.

2007 ElectraGlide
65,000 miles and counting!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Great job of handling the machine! Sorry for the dog, for the owner(s), and for your experience but, you are well and alive!

·
Registered
829 Posts
My son had a dog hit on the road outside his house that later that day had to be put down. He really misses the dog but the part that really upsets him when he talks about it is the fact that the car driver left the scene and left his dog to lay there. My point is, you did two equally good things yesterday. One benefitted you, the other, the dog's owner, well done on both.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,472 Posts
My first major crash was a dog hit. Had a pit bull run out of nowhere and hit my old Fat Boy on the right side just behind the front wheel and ahead of the engine. I was down before my brain could register the Oh S#!t that came out of my lips. Had to kick away from the bike was it decided to high side and went flipping down the road ahead of me sliding next to the now very dead pooch. The dog had a collar but no identification, and of course no one claimed ownership of him.
It upsets me to see a persons 4-legged family member running loose on the roads. Many of them end up as road kill, and a few take down bikers. Some owners are grateful to be notified, and some want to punch you out for telling them about their pet posing a problem on the streets.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
I'm glad your here to tell us your experience. Well done. We too have a dog and it would suck to come home and see her lying on the road with no explanation. Again, great job on both accomplishments.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,674 Posts
Glad your alright and to bad fer the dog, I live near hwy and go to great length to make sure my dogs are where they are supposed to be. As bad as it would be to lose a dog it would be worse knowing that my dog, that I was responsible for had caused a wreck and hurt or killed someone.

When ever friends come to my place from out of the area or state I tell them to watch out for anything coming onto the road...I've seen birds about take someone out before, Dam turkeys are just about as big as a dam dogg and one flew right into the side of a pack of riders couple hundred yards in front of me on a heavily wooded area.

Be safe everyone

·
Banned
71 Posts
IMHO You did the best that you could do. :) Damm no account parents who let their child run loose in the road anyway . :mad

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
ric-
glad you're ok. sorry for the dog and his owner.
regards,
dave

·
Registered
342 Posts
Happy to hear you are ok and at the same time sorry to hear about the dog. In town, out of town I have never understood how you someone can let their dog run like that. I understand the freedom of not fencing but you at least have to keep them under your control somehow.

·
Registered
356 Posts
GOOD job keeping your bike up!!!!!

Everything else ... all good.
You probably did this - but check that fork pretty carefully and make sure its not bent. Otherwise your front wheel will have a wobble.

dT

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First of all:
1. Thank you all for the kind words. I've been pretty bummed out of this. I've lost a pup on this same hwy. the person never even stopped, so I do know how the other side feels.

2. Was lifting off the brakes right before impact to concentrate on stability and balance the right thing to do? I know I kept the bike up, but what do others do impending an impact? Not like impacting a tree, or an immovable object, but rather something unavoidable in the road, ie: road debris, like a board, a piece of tire, branch tree, squirrels, or any other small animal. I was just wondering if my instinct was correct for what I did?

3. Again, that's for all the kind words.

GOOD job keeping your bike up!!!!!

Everything else ... all good.

You probably did this - but check that fork pretty carefully and make sure its not bent. Otherwise your front wheel will have a wobble.

dT

How would you check the trueness of the forks? It still tracks straight. No shake or wobble (up to 85mph) as far as I can notice. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2007 ElectraGlide

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
First of all:
1. Thank you all for the kind words. I've been pretty bummed out of this. I've lost a pup on this same hwy. the person never even stopped, so I do know how the other side feels.

2. Was lifting off the brakes right before impact to concentrate on stability and balance the right thing to do? I know I kept the bike up, but what do others do impending an impact? Not like impacting a tree, or an immovable object, but rather something unavoidable in the road, ie: road debris, like a board, a piece of tire, branch tree, squirrels, or any other small animal. I was just wondering if my instinct was correct for what I did?

3. Again, that's for all the kind words.

How would you check the trueness of the forks? It still tracks straight. No shake or wobble (up to 85mph) as far as I can notice. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2007 ElectraGlide
You did it right imo.

Hey I mean you kept the bike upright so that alone is proof that it worked. Don't over think it because I know how it is with accidents, you will play the incident out 1000 time's a day in your head and always come to the same conclusion.

·
ZVO
1,416 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok!

I hit a bird once...well actually it hit me it came flying out of some trees I was doing 70 it hit my hand and bounced into my chest hurt like a mofo....and it smelled like it had been playing in sewage water.

Stupid bird

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
You did the best you could under the circumstances. Poor dog didn't know any better, and didn't get a second chance to do it over...I have an acre fenced in for my German Shepherd Dog, and would feel terrible if he got out and caused that kind of dangerous accident, or got killed that way. Thanks for your concern for the dumb creature.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Penna has a law that if you hit a dog you must stop or they can ticket you, plus the dogs owner is responsible for damages the dog may have cause from running around unleased

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Glad ur ok and you handled the situation very well IMO. First, its hard to say how one would react in emergency braking when hitting something is inevitable. I think you handled that about as well as anybody. Second, letting the dog's owner know what happened was definitely the right thing to do. Great job.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On another note, how should I check the forks to be SURE they are NOT bent. Is there a way to verify this? I know it don't shake or wobble, but is there something I can do to be absolutely sure? How is the trueness of the forks checked? If it has to go to the dealer, what do they do? Thanks for all the help guys.

2007 ElectraGlide

1 - 20 of 23 Posts