·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 road king
107" axtell mountain motor.
Beasley prostreet heads.
48 mm mikuni carb.
I had the heads off a couple of weeks ago, has been running fine. Last night I went for a ride and stopped at a store, she was running fine. When I restarted afterwards my idle was high and there was more than normal popping through the exhaust. Next stop the engine felt warmer than normal and I checked plug wires and what I could in the dark. Left there and rode home. The popping got worse in route and it felt like one cylinder wasn't firing properly. Loss of power wise.
I'm thinking a vacuum leak but the change between stop for a minute and go is more like an electrical issue.
Not in a rush to tear in to it so any help, ideas, and advice is welcome.
Will run codes and do a good look over in the next couple of days.
Kinda new behavior from this bike for me and a little lost.
Coments welcome and will post what I find.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Plugs?

Confused about "stop for a minute and go"

If it runs ok sometimes then not plugs.

Just guessing until Dave gets on.

Something floating in the carb?

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts
Exhaust gasket?

·
Registered
39,448 Posts
Check for leaking intake and exhaust.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Check for leaking intake and exhaust.
My vote.

It's always a good practice to tighten/retorque maniford gaskets after a couple of warmup and cool down cycles on a rebuild. Back in the day, it use to be part of the 1,000 mile services on the engines we serviced. Harley is still old school design in that regard.

--

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
Engine temp sensor, crank position sensor, foul fuel, just to name a few that can act up suddenly.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Disconnect the Neg lead on the battery and let it sit over night. Hook up the batt and see if your ECM resets back to where it was. And maybe all that will go away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With the bike running and the air cleaner off, try holding a rag over the opening to the throttle body and see if the idle raises suddenly. That would indicate a vacuum leak somewhere, probably the intake gaskets.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent idea pingman.
Might be awhile before I get back to the bike. GF's been having some medical issues and I've been at her house helping out what I can. Will start posting what I learn when I get to tinker with it.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a little time today.
Battery was low so I disconnected the negative side of the battery and charged it for about 4 hours on a trickle charger.
Put it back together and started, still running rough. Ran Dtc, no codes that I haven't seen before.
Tried to start after and battery was low again. Time to order a new battery and will go from there.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tinkered on her some today, rerun dtc. speedo needle sweeps part and drops to a different place and stops. Different every time. Also is showing no connection to ignition module. Has a dyna tune ignition, thinking if I disconnect it and run on stock I might learn something.

Comments...ideas.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Tinkered on her some today, rerun dtc. speedo needle sweeps part and drops to a different place and stops. Different every time. Also is showing no connection to ignition module. Has a dyna tune ignition, thinking if I disconnect it and run on stock I might learn something.

Comments...ideas.

Smart. That module may have taken a dump?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah.
Finally going to tear into it Saturday, got to move a bike home and mine to the garage where we work on them. Friend went up for about a year and we managed to save his bikes but their kinda always in the way. Going to check my stator and thread lock the compensator nut etc etc. Been riding the sporty but missing the black beast. Time to get her ready.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
As mentioned before - check the intake then exhaust for leaks.
Might save you a lot of work before you tear into the motor.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally worked on her today.

Couldn't get her started, so pulled the intake manifold and the gaskets where toast. Changed them and after a few shots of either she's running on her own again. Thinking I Had some bad gas also.
Anyway the compensator is making noise again....next.

Locktight this time.

Going to be a kinda late nite maybe.

Ride tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
39,448 Posts
:thumb

1 - 20 of 32 Posts