Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you riders actually think about counter steering? I have tried to explain it to some people who think I'm nuts. (Well, I am, but that's another story.) If you use it, where did you hear about it?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, AMA Website and Magazine, Bicycling Magazine, YouTube, friends.........

·
Registered
44,252 Posts
I first read it in a magazine back in the 80's I think. I just think it's funny how people who ride don't believe in it. They say all you do is lean to turn.
When someone says that to you, tell them to try to make a turn without their hands on the bars, and see how easy it is.

Yeah you can do it, I've done it, but it wont be a quick turn.

Reactions: JTJ

·
Guitarslinger
3,335 Posts
well you darn sure don't want to turn the wheel in the direction of the turn, don't ask me how I know this LOL

·
Asylum Inmate
13,123 Posts
Flat track when I was a kid. You don't counter steer when racing, you visit the stands in dramatic fashion.

You may find it interesting to know when racing stock cars and midgets as well as outlaws you turn right to go left on banked dirt and clay! Power slide.

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
The gyroscope effect of the rotating wheels and crankshaft assembly tend to keep a vehicle going in a straight line and upright.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When I got back into riding after 20 something years. I went out and bought a few books on Motorcycle riding and the science of riding. The counter turning concept was in all of them. The interesting thing about it is that it doesn't take effect until after 12-15 miles per hour. Before that, you turn your handle bar in the direction of the turn. I had been doing it My whole life, I just didn't understand what my body was doing, it just did it naturally.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I petty much do it all the time. I find it easier to hold my line if I countersteer instead of trying to hold it by leaning.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I was first introduced to the concept by other riders many years ago. It has dominated discussions at any and all training/safety type courses or workshops I have attended.

I will say this about it: for most all everyday riding, it's not really that important (unless you take the Dragon to work every day). If you have some experience, I don't think you think all that much about willing the bike through the turns. But, if you have to make a very quick evasive maneuver and counter steering is not second nature, you almost certainly will not be able to execute it well enough to save yourself from hitting whatever it was you were trying to avoid hitting.

With that in mind, I believe you should force yourself to ride like that all the time. If you use a bar pressure to manage your way around the most gently sweeping curves, you're far more likely to react like that when there's a pothole 10 feet in front of you at 50 mph.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
push right go right, push left go left.

Nothing really to think about...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts