Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The physics of counter-steering a motorcycle and the "controlled slide" of cornering a sprint car on dirt are different things. Flat track MC racing is a delicate combination of both!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
When my son was taking the written temps test for his cycle license there was a question about it. And he, who didn't own a cycle, tried to argue with me about. I said fine, go outside right now, jump on your bicycle, ride down the sidewalk. When you're clear or houses and cars, push lightly on either the left or right grip and tell me what happens. He came back, sat back down at the computer and didn't say a word, and I knew I didn't need to ask what happened.

Reactions: River

·
Registered
298 Posts
How many of you riders actually think about counter steering? I have tried to explain it to some people who think I'm nuts. (Well, I am, but that's another story.) If you use it, where did you hear about it?
As long as we turn as intended, we do use it either consciously or unconsciously. There is no other way. This is physics. Thinking about it, however, ensures a more controlled, safer ride. :ride

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Anyone who doesn't believe that countersteering works should be offered this simple example.

Stand straddle of any bicycle with only your fingers on the handlebars to keep it upright. Not firmly holding it, just balancing it. Gently push the left bar forward. What happens? The bike will fall over to the left. (You can do the experiment with your 850 lb. Ultra and produce the same result, but it's a little messier.)

Now, roll a quarter across a table. What happens when the quarter starts to lean? It turns in the direction of the lean, right? That's physics.

A moving bike with spinning wheels going in a straight line wants to stay that way. That's why you can do 70 on the highway with your hands off the handlebars. If the bike and road are good, it'll go straight indefinitely. The bike has to lean to turn. As long as you have the right balance of fall and forward momentum, you'll turn just like the quarter.

The counter-steer is really just a way to create and control the "fall" of the bike. It's far quicker, more predictable and controllable than using your body weight to control the lean.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
It also assists you in righting the lean when exiting the turn. Just in the opposite direction. And that part is even less consciously thought about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts
Unless you high side. Then you'll have several months in traction to think about it.

If you're lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wayward Son
23,863 Posts
Anyone who doesn't believe that countersteering works should be offered this simple example.

Stand straddle of any bicycle with only your fingers on the handlebars to keep it upright. Not firmly holding it, just balancing it. Gently push the left bar forward. What happens? The bike will fall over to the left. (You can do the experiment with your 850 lb. Ultra and produce the same result, but it's a little messier.)

Now, roll a quarter across a table. What happens when the quarter starts to lean? It turns in the direction of the lean, right? That's physics.

A moving bike with spinning wheels going in a straight line wants to stay that way. That's why you can do 70 on the highway with your hands off the handlebars. If the bike and road are good, it'll go straight indefinitely. The bike has to lean to turn. As long as you have the right balance of fall and forward momentum, you'll turn just like the quarter.

The counter-steer is really just a way to create and control the "fall" of the bike. It's far quicker, more predictable and controllable than using your body weight to control the lean.
Explains it rather well. :thumb

I just know it`s the best thing since sliced bread.

As you stated. The responsiveness compared to using body weight is measurable.
Can make a Bagger handle like a sport bike by comparison when used. :nod

·
Wayward Son
23,863 Posts
When my son was taking the written temps test for his cycle license there was a question about it. And he, who didn't own a cycle, tried to argue with me about. I said fine, go outside right now, jump on your bicycle, ride down the sidewalk. When you're clear or houses and cars, push lightly on either the left or right grip and tell me what happens. He came back, sat back down at the computer and didn't say a word, and I knew I didn't need to ask what happened.
Wasn't it great when you were young and knew everything? :D
:laugh
....and we healed quicker from our mistakes too.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,055 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,915 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just don't try it on a jet ski.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I heard of it when on a group ride and the person following me commented on how well I counter steered for being a new rider. I never knew I was doing anything special. It just felt right LOL

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
14,015 Posts
If you ride deserted 2 lane roads with the usual broken white line in the middle, try zig-zagging the front wheel so every other line is on the other side, at least of the front wheel, and then keep it up as you accelerate.

I've never done this on a dresser, but on the LowRider and the V-Rod, I could keep the zig-zag going to a pretty good speed, but it sure becomes an obvious effort, and a lot of work, see-sawing the handle bars to THROW the bike down and STAND it back up to THROW it down on the opposite side, in rapid repetition.

I considered this part of self-training to resist target fixation, along with playing dodge the tarstrip.

Wrong thread, but another "obvious" but counter-intuitive truism to start arguments with people who are certain they are right and you are nuts,

when changing to a new magazine in a 1911, and releasing the slide-lock to chamber the first round, best practice, you should have the trigger pulled back hard.

:think

21 - 40 of 54 Posts