Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, Thank you everyone on here for all your helpful advice. I just bought a 2010 Street Glide. I am in the Army so the bike will be stored in my barracks parking lot. I am stationed in El Paso, TX so the temperatures are high and the sandstorms are bad! I just purchased a cover. It's a capsule type cover so the bike will be fully enclosed. My only question is, It is not "heat resistant" I did not have the money for a fully heat resistant one, I have read that some owners let their bikes cool down for 10-15 minutes then cover it, and its fine. With the temps where i live (95-105 summers) How long will i have to wait to let my bike cool down so its safe enough to cover it without melting? Anyone have a similar predicament? or solution?

Thanks!
-Jeremy

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
First off, Thank You for your service.

If it were me, I would find a local dealer for long term storage, and let them keep your ride safe, as most will store it for free, or at a drastically reduced rate, for active duty military. For short term storage, I would let it cool down for a hour, or until the pipes are down below a temp that will not melt your cover.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
For short term storage, I would let it cool down for a hour, or until the pipes are down below a temp that will not melt your cover.
Welcome from eden nc... And thank you for your service!!! 2stangs is spot on with his reply... You can't beat the dealer storage for long term storage... But he nailed it on the head with ^^^that... Please let it cool down before covering...(don't and me how I know) Even if you have a cover that is heat resistant... It still will leave stuff that is extremely hard to get off...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
luv the low country
19,252 Posts
Welcome and thank you for your service. Just a thought, if your going to store it out side covered for any length of time, might want to pull the battery and put it on a battery tender/trickle charger, to keep it charged and healthy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will not be outside for long term...Unless i deploy. I will be using the cover for rain and sandstorms, I am just worried about the Black denin paint on this bike with the sandstorms, also the rain, Wish i had a garage :(

·
Registered
557 Posts
Welcome and thank you for your service!!! I have the same bike. Get used to it being dirty!! I live in the dirty desert and dust is my kryptonite!! The denim paint is like a dust magnet. Glass cleaner will be your best friend. I cover mine in my garage! I blow it off with my leaf blower and windex it down. Let it cool down to touch before you cover it and all will be good.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from College Station, TX.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
On-post housing is probably looking a lot better now huh? haha, Just messing with you brother. The wind can cause any cover to start to wear spots on the paint. I would definitely go the storage unit route if that's a viable option for you. I did that when I was stationed at Hurlburt Field and chose to live on the beach. I'm in Arizona at Huachuca about 5 hours from you. If you ever ride across I-10 give me a shout and we can link up. MOS?

-Rohan

·
Former Lurker
2,979 Posts
Good day,
Thanks for serving. Helps keep old folks like me from having to go back in...
If you can, you may want to consider an enclosed trailer.
When I was in a few guys did this. In fact one had a whole dirt bike racing operation setup in a small enclosed trailer.
If you get a white one and maybe coat the top with the thermal white paint and a vent or two it may not be too bad.
(like a dryer vent - just kidding...)
Unless this your only form of transportation...
Just a thought...

·
Behind Enemy Lines
287 Posts
I let mine cool down to ambient temperature, but I have a garage. If you trust the environs, there is a portable garage that is like a pop up tent that encloses the bike. Not sure about anchoring it but I am sure you can secure it somehow.

Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
926 Posts

As others have said....Thank you for your service. This looks like a good idea. If you decide to do it check with your unit to find out if they would allow it in the parking lot and also check with the post fire inspectors. Sometimes those guys have stricter rules than in the civilian world. ( ex USAF firefighter here )

·
Registered
460 Posts
:welcome :biker: Thanks for your service for keeping us all free !
There are a lot of motorcycle covers out there you just need to look @ different web sites to get the right one for your application. I use my garage to house mine sorry.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Do you have storage places around there like public Storage. You could get a very small unit to park your bike in. That dust will still find it's way in. An if it's windy as hell, the cover will buffet and mar the paint in spots.

Thanks for serving

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Let it cool down until the muffler and engine are cool to the touch then cover it. I always thought the cool down period was so the muffler didn't melt the cover. These bikes are tough you won't have problems if it's covered, besides a little patina looks good on a Harley. Btw... thank you for keeping me and my family safe. You guys are true heroes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Storage is expensive. You would think most places around my base would have great rates but its the complete opposite, with so many soldiers needing storage they up the prices, think of it as buying food at a sporting event or a movie theater. And most places Ive called don't even offer military discount. I bought a 2/1 cover, it can turn into a capsule if need be, so i will use that until i get enough cash to buy something else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts