Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a replacement dash panel, the Covington one. i was told that it was put on with double sided tape, but when i opened the package i see two small male threaded studs off the back with nuts on them. No instructions and i have not ever had reason to take my tank/dash apart.

anyone got some quick do's/do not's before i apparently have to remove half the bike to put this thing on?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just took my console off to powder coat it and there are no studs on the back of that insert. My stock one is on there with double sided tape. They may have sent you the wrong model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it came with a template...

how did you get your dash off? i suspect that the template that came with it means that i need to drill the dash. thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I carefully pried it out with a stiff metal putty knife then cleaned the surface with acetone. Sounds like you are right with drilling with the template.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you didn't have to remove the entire chrome piece that includes the locking gas cap cover? the whole dash? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You don't have to remove the whole console to pry the insert out, but you will need to remove the whole console to be able to drill your holes and bolt the new Covington insert in. It is very easy. Remove the seat, and then there is a bolt at the rear of the tank under the seat and a bolt at the front of the tank on the front of the console. After you remove the bolts, you open the fuel door and remove the gas cap, then the whole console lifts straight off. There is a rubber grommett that goes around the gas cap hole and is a little snug. You just have to ease it off with a little force. The whole process including installation of the new insert should only take about an hour.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts