Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bet a lot of us wear these...I've worn them in the past...what do you think?

WASHINGTON – U.S. transportation regulators on Wednesday called for stronger rules for motorcycle helmets, proposing additional safety requirements in an effort to crack down on "novelty" helmets that do not meet federal standards.

The Department of Transportation said such uncertified helmets are unsafe and do not protect riders in crashes despite being sold and marketed for use on the road.

Its proposal would further define what makes an acceptable motorcycle helmet, from its thickness to its compression ability, in an attempt to help riders and state law enforcement officials identify inferior helmets.

Such proposed changes aim "to reduce fatalities and injuries resulting from traffic accidents involving use of motorcycle helmets" that fail to meet federal standards, Department of Transportation regulators said.

Deaths stemming from motorcycle crashes are disproportionately high, they said, in part due to the high number of motorcyclists wearing substandard helmets.......

Tougher standards will help authorities prosecute sellers of noncompliant helmets in states where helmets are mandatory, regulators said. Just three of the 50 U.S. states - Illinois, Iowa and New Hampshire - do not require motorcycle riders to wear helmets, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a nonprofit research group.

The public can comment on the proposal for 60 days before the department moves to issue its final regulation.
US aims to crack down on 'novelty' motorcycle helmets | Fox News

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they mean no helmet law at all...even here in Florida where we mostly don't have to wear one, but riders under 21 years old still have to wear one.

Plus the requirement to have $10,000 in insurance to go helmetless.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
I think they mean no helmet law at all...even here in Florida where we mostly don't have to wear one, but riders under 21 years old still have to wear one.

Plus the requirement to have $10,000 in insurance to go helmetless.
KY has a similar law(s), but, still, their statement is not correct and is misleading--possibly for their own "slant" on the situation. All they had to do was state only 3 states have no helmet requirements at all.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
On the national news just the other day they reported that motorcycle deaths were down last year !

If they are so into passing laws for our own personal safety they should pass a law banning the sale of all motorcycles not made in the US of A !

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
That just shows the power of the media to cloud and confuse a discussion. Wisconsin, even with the power that Harley has in the motorocycle community, technically has a helmet law. Any rider under the age of 18 and / or riding with a learner's permit MUST wear a DOT approved helmet. So that 45 year old guy who just decided to buy his first bike and doesn't have his full cycle license yet, has to wear a helmet in Wisconsin.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,770 Posts
Don't wear a lid. So this won't affect me.

Interesting how they slant it toward the NIH and DOT mantra!

If they want to save lives, less talk about texting and such and more Cell Companies shut it down when phone is moving.

Not driving, just answer the question and it opens up the service. But if you lie, 25 to life for being in an injury accident while lying so you could continue texting while driving.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Passing additional laws generally doesn't make us safer. If they are genuinely concerned about safety let them crack down on those who have a license & insurance but still don't know how to signal a turn, or merge on/off a freeway, or keep a safe following distance, etc., etc.

We will only be safer on the road when LE, courts and juries hand out serious sentences for those who willfully disregard common sense rules of the road and kill/maim innocent folks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is another of those laws that shouldn't even be necessary, it's similar to seat belt laws...

I think the law makers and other so-called leaders could better direct their actions towards something productive and/ or worth while...

Exco

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,837 Posts
This is another of those laws that shouldn't even be necessary, it's similar to seat belt laws...
While driving my truck in illinois that has no helmet law I was pulled over in my truck, cop asked if I normally did not wear seatbelt...I said I'm normally on my motorcycle, he said good answer and left :what?

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,211 Posts
Often when these issues come up, the phrase: "Follow the Money!" pops into the discussion. Thus, I'd be inclined to suspect and be very curious about who is going to make a huge profit from any rule/law changes regarding helmets that may be coming.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
Often when these issues come up, the phrase: "Follow the Money!" pops into the discussion. Thus, I'd be inclined to suspect and be very curious about who is going to make a huge profit from any rule/law changes regarding helmets that may be coming.
You suspect the helmet industry would consider profit more than public safety? Or mislead the public in some way? Do you think they may make contributions to the law makers? That wouldn't be right!

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,211 Posts
You suspect the helmet industry would consider profit more than public safety? Or mislead the public in some way? Do you think they may make contributions to the law makers? That wouldn't be right!
Well, I almost added to my previous post about who would be receiving contributions to their next campaign. But I know that MY crook in Washington would never take a dime of "that kind of money".....yeah,sure!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts