Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered a cracked exhaust header on my (new to me) 07 road king. I attempted to do a temp repair with JB Weld and a hose clamp. It lessened the leak and stabilized the pipe but the bike is still running lean. (light popping on deceleration) am I doing any damage riding till I can get a new exhaust? Thanks in advance Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not sure where the crack is in your header pipe, but I assume it is in the Y-pipe on the rear cylinder. If not then ignore this reply.

I have seen several cracks at the Y-pipe on the rear cylinder and every one of them had the clamp that is located under the transmission loose or even missing. This clamp holds the header pipe rigid to the frame that the motor is mounted to so it can't move in relation to the motor. If this clamp is loose it will let the header pipe move in relation to the motor and it doesn't take long for it to crack the pipe.

All of my riding buddy's and I have learned to check the clamp whenever we service the bikes. When this pipe starts to crack you won't go far before it will completely crack and seperate from the header going to the left side. The pipe can be welded alot cheaper than buying a new one and it will be just as good.

Good luck
David

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
Cracked Y pipes are common on FL'S.. re-weld/re-place or go true duals.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i looked at the mount and it looked as if it has been replaced recently. ie; to new looking. so i suspect that is why it broke, was probably well on it way. i am going to replace the pipes with V&H big shots true duels as funds become available. i know its a little lean. right now its a gurgle with the occational low pop on decelleration, and i can hear it when i get on (like a header gasket leak) it so I guess my real question is can i live with this a few weeks or should i park it till i can fix it.

·
MPG'S? Who gives a
9,925 Posts
If were mine, I'd fix it asap. No sense risking head damage. Get the "y" pipe welded up then yer good to go untill the moola comes in for the upgrades.

Option "b" try and find a used one...they're a dime a dozen.

Come to think of it...my dealer had em layin around the shop....maybe go ask nicely and they'll give ya a take off. never know.

·
DRIFTERS M/C
15 Posts
I have one off an 07 ultra,(same thing) and if you can't find one cheap from the dealer, I'll take $50.00 for it....you pay the shipping....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a replacement header pipe for a 2005 Ultra Classic. Mine has cracked and, if possible, I want to replace it without having to spend a lot of $$$. If not, can someone steer me to where I can buy one at a reasonable price?

Thanks,
JM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts