Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Here goes. 2009 flhx, 26k, power commander v, SE heavy breather, v&h 2into1 pro pipe. All engine mods have been on the bike since it was new. I have went through electrical diagnostics manual and all signs point to bad injectors. The fuel pump was cycling but there was no sign of fuel getting into the cylinders. I took the injectors out and made a home-made cleaner. Injectors seemed to be clean. Put them back onto the bike, and cleaned out the fuel tank. Switched the bike on, fuel pump cycled and I hit the starter and still nothing. But now I have plugs that are soaked in fuel. Could the injectors still be bad?? I've read that diy cleaning of injectors doesn't work most of the time. just wondering if anybody else has tried to clean injectors and had any similar problems. I have also just changed the fuel filter. The only thing I haven't done is check the fuel pressure. I don't have the tool to do that with. But since I'm getting fuel on the plugs now and wasn't before I cleaned the injectors, would I still need to check fuel pressure? Don't want to just throw parts at it either, but it seems like from all the tests I have done that it may be the injectors. There was also no codes present before or now. Any thoughts or suggestions before I pull my hair out!!! Thanks.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Ok. Here goes. 2009 flhx, 26k, power commander v, SE heavy breather, v&h 2into1 pro pipe. All engine mods have been on the bike since it was new. I have went through electrical diagnostics manual and all signs point to bad injectors. The fuel pump was cycling but there was no sign of fuel getting into the cylinders. I took the injectors out and made a home-made cleaner. Injectors seemed to be clean. Put them back onto the bike, and cleaned out the fuel tank. Switched the bike on, fuel pump cycled and I hit the starter and still nothing. But now I have plugs that are soaked in fuel. Could the injectors still be bad?? I've read that diy cleaning of injectors doesn't work most of the time. just wondering if anybody else has tried to clean injectors and had any similar problems. I have also just changed the fuel filter. The only thing I haven't done is check the fuel pressure. I don't have the tool to do that with. But since I'm getting fuel on the plugs now and wasn't before I cleaned the injectors, would I still need to check fuel pressure? Don't want to just throw parts at it either, but it seems like from all the tests I have done that it may be the injectors. There was also no codes present before or now. Any thoughts or suggestions before I pull my hair out!!! Thanks.
Before you start............. did you try shooting a little starter fluid in the air cleaner to see if it fired ????

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't try that, but it did fire after I put them back in after cleaning from the residual cleaner that was still in the injectors.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Whoops. Then you might try the starter fluid. If it starts that would implicate the injectors or another fuel starvation issue

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will give it another go tomorrow. Went back out to try the starting fluid, but when to took the cap off, the spray nozzle was gone?? Must have been a sign to give up for the night, let my brain rest.... It's times like these, that those ol carburetors and cold natured bikes don't seem so bad!!

·
Banned
71 Posts
Will give it another go tomorrow. Went back out to try the starting fluid, but when to took the cap off, the spray nozzle was gone?? Must have been a sign to give up for the night, let my brain rest.... It's times like these, that those ol carburetors and cold natured bikes don't seem so bad!!
If it fires on starting fluid, I'd check fuel pressure next. Low pressure will not let the injectors work .

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
If it fires on starting fluid, I'd check fuel pressure next. Low pressure will not let the injectors work .
Also you have to get a signal to the injectors for them to open. Is the signal there?
Take the power commander off and try the bike without it. Since you have an added piece that's the first place to look.

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
Agreed, dis the PC and try starting. Dry the plugs first.
Also double check the install on the fuel filter, if it isn't seated fully the fuel pressure will be low. Don't ask how I know this !
History of bad or fouled injectors is very low.

Reactions: Ken 1957

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Signal is getting to injectors. Verified with a test light. Also tried unhooking PCV and still got nothing. Going to get a fresh set of plugs today to try when I get home from work. I checked the fuel filter again and all seems to be right.. I also questioned the cause being injectors, because the likely hood they would both go bad at the same time is very unlikely...since I wasn't getting any fuel at all on the plugs before I cleaned the injectors, and now the plugs are getting soaked in fuel, I'm thinking it may be pressure related... Like maybe low pressure that's still going through the injectors but not creating mist. And that's what flooding the plugs??? I don't have a fuel pressure test tool and am looking at which one I may want. Anybody have any suggestions on a good one. I've looked at one from fuel tool and watched some videos on you tube. It seems to be a good product. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Signal is getting to injectors. Verified with a test light. Also tried unhooking PCV and still got nothing. Going to get a fresh set of plugs today to try when I get home from work. I checked the fuel filter again and all seems to be right.. I also questioned the cause being injectors, because the likely hood they would both go bad at the same time is very unlikely...since I wasn't getting any fuel at all on the plugs before I cleaned the injectors, and now the plugs are getting soaked in fuel, I'm thinking it may be pressure related... Like maybe low pressure that's still going through the injectors but not creating mist. And that's what flooding the plugs??? I don't have a fuel pressure test tool and am looking at which one I may want. Anybody have any suggestions on a good one. I've looked at one from fuel tool and watched some videos on you tube. It seems to be a good product. Thanks again for all the help.
There is a THREAD here about replacing fuel pumps. It has a link to OEM fuel pumps direct from the OEM manufactures for under 20 bucks . May very well be worth your reading it before you spend any more money . :wink

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a THREAD here about replacing fuel pumps. It has a link to OEM fuel pumps direct from the OEM manufactures for under 20 bucks . May very well be worth your reading it before you spend any more money . :wink
Thanks. I will see if I can find it and read up on it

·
Retired citizen
24,287 Posts
How did you clean the injectors, what did you use ?
The plugs shouldn't be getting soaked. The fuel pump turns off after 3 seconds until the engine starts.
If the engine doesn't start for whatever reason and the plugs get pulled they should be dry not wet like on a carbed engine.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Do you have any new codes stored?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi , I'm an old timer an in the old days most reliable engines had up draft carbs to prevent the cylinders from cylinder wash due to being flooded with too much gas.
Remove your old plugs an flood the cylinders with fresh oil an reinstall the old plugs an rotate the engine to reseal your rings an restore your compression .
Then remove the old plugs an rotate the cylinders blowing the excess oil .
Now install new plugs an start your engine !
Happy riding . Bud

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Schmity, I made a make-shift device out of a battery, a short piece of tubing, a push button switch to send a signal to the injectors and an old syringe to create pressure on the carb cleaner I was pushing through the injector....if that makes sense. I was thinking the same thing about the plugs. But when you switch to run with the ignition on, the pump runs for about 3 seconds and then stops. Then when I hit the start button, I cranks over but never starts. Then when I release the start button, the pump will cycle again. Then I will switch the ignition off and pull the plugs and they are soaked. Before I took the injectors off and tried to clean them, they would be dry, no fuel whatsoever. That's why I was wondering would low fuel pressure cause the injectors to put fuel in the cylinder but not creating a mist, which would cause it to flood the cylinder and it not be able to fire???

Link, still not getting any codes.

Bud, I have heard of people doing that, but the bike seems to have compression. But I'm just checking by putting my finger over the spark plug hole. I don't have a compression tester.

I have also ordered a fuel pressure tool and will check fuel pressure when it comes in. I went back through the troubleshooting procedures in the diagnostics manual, minus compression test and fuel pressure test. Once the fuel pressure tool arrives I can narrow it down even more. I still think it may be fuel pressure related, because I just believe the likely hood of both injectors going bad at the same time is just slim to none. I guess I'll just wait until the fuel pressure tool arrives and see what I find with the fuel pressure and go from there. It's just strange, because the bike never showed any signs of fuel delivery problems and then I went out one day to go for a ride and nothing.... But I'll get it figured out. Thanks again everyone for all the help.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Dumb question... What about spark?
How strong is that battery?

Spitballing, so don't take any of this in the wrong manner...

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dumb question... What about spark?
How strong is that battery?

Spitballing, so don't take any of this in the wrong manner...

According to the spark tester I have, it's getting spark. Battery seems to be strong according to voltage tests and I have been keeping it charged while troubleshooting. It also seems to be strong when I try to crank it up.

Don't worry no offense will be taken. I know how easy it can be to overlook the simplest things when you get involved try to fix something

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm still waiting on n the fuel pressure tool to arrive. I was hoping that it might be here by now, but it looks like it should arrive around the 10th of this month. I will be sure to post my findings once the tool arrives.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts