Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call last June from my dealership(Motor City HD) to tell me that somehow they had issued me the wrong title on a FLSTC that I purchased the previous year(2013). Could I please bring the title in and they would take care of it. I dropped off the title I had and was assured they would expedite the correction process and keep me in the loop. Well after several months of me checking in and not getting my calls returned I paid another visit to the young lady who does the title work. She apologized about not returning my calls and told me she was dropping off the paperwork THAT DAY! Keep in mind this is several months later and she still hasn't taken care of it? I waited two weeks and still no calls at which point I dropped in on the General manager and explained the situation and my concerns. He expressed his apologies for the problem and assured me he would find out what was going on and call me. well again, no calls, no communication, nada. I finally quit wasting my time going up there and sent him an email telling him my next step would be to contact HD Corporate. Soon afterward I get a call from the title girl telling me she was going down to Secretary of State to get an instant title and Fed-Ex it over to me. That told me it still wasn't taken care of until that point. I wait another 3 days and still no title so I called her again and the excuse this time was it was sitting on the desk downstairs because she thought I was coming by to pick it up. WTF! Finally the next day Fed-Ex dropped of the title and all I could do was shake my head. The info was still incorrect and they didn't bother to transfer my veterans tag to the new registration. Back to square on.......Finally today after 6 MONTHS, I get a call telling me the title was straightened out and I should be getting a copy in the mail but she didn't know what to do about my Vet's tag. I'm not holding my breath about getting my title in the mail and I'll probably have to buy my tag again. I do know I'll never buy anything from Motor City again, not even a t-shirt. I bought my Wife a Softail Deluxe last month and needless to say it didn't come from there. I contacted corporate and although my complaint is documented I was told since the Dealership is independently owned there was nothing they could do. no wonder people get such a run-around from Dealerships. There's no recourse when you have an issue like this. I guess all I can do is let anyone who is in the market for a bike know how MCHD handles their ****-ups.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,854 Posts
If you happened to have a friend who is in the lawyering business, a nice letter from him might have gotten their attention. Incompetence such as you described is inexcusable, and if the stealer was aware of it as he obviously must have been, it is even moreso inexcusable. I'd be following the phone call to corporate with a nasty letter of complaint and notification that hundreds of your friends have also been made aware of the situation.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
After a month of waiting I would have dropped the bike off and told them to give my money back. Then go to another dealer and buy a bike. What a pain in the arse man. Hopefully everything gets sorted out man.

-Rohan

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Curious. Is the bike financed and through who?

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Sounds like he paid cash, otherwise, all he had to do was tell the finance company they have the wrong title. Not his circus, not his monkeys in that case.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Hindsight is, usually, 20/20. But, did they tell you why the title was wrong in the first place? Lesson I learned here is don't give up the title, even if it is incorrect, till they put another one in your hands. And it wouldn't have taken me long before I contacted the Motor Vehicle Branch or whoever it is in your state that issues/oversees all vehicle titles and complained to them.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Hindsight is, usually, 20/20. But, did they tell you why the title was wrong in the first place? Lesson I learned here is don't give up the title, even if it is incorrect, till they put another one in your hands. And it wouldn't have taken me long before I contacted the Motor Vehicle Branch or whoever it is in your state that issues/oversees all vehicle titles and complained to them.
^^^^^^^This.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was financed through my Credit Union and I assumed(that word) that the dealer would have contacted them as well. When the last title showed up it had no lien holders on it which meant they were out of the loop. I contacted them immediately and let them know. They were willing to do the title work themselves because at this point the loan was written on another bike that neither of us had an interest in. My issue with all that was if something would have happened to the bike, I.E. accident or stolen I'll be willing to bet the insurance company could or would have made a fuss because it wouldn't have been the bike they insured. When I found the title was wrong originally I contacted them and changed the VIN # on the policy but it's scary to think I had the bike for over a year with this problem and was unaware. I'm sure the Dealer found the issue when they sold the bike that I had the title to. Pisses me off that Corporate said there's nothing they can do. I've owned several HD's over the years and loved them but it's things like this that make me think it's not about the machine anymore. I saw a helmet sticker the other day that said it all. It said "It used to be about the motorcycle, now its a ****ing fashion show"

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
All this bad KARMA will eventually catch up with the MOCO one day in the not too distant future , as it will with their Dealers also !

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,854 Posts
I'm not sure that it will do any large scale damage to MOCO given that car dealers have been universally screwing the public since Henry Ford and they keep on keeping on.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
EXACTLY KD! these clowns seem to have the attitude that they have more resources than us, so, we can't possibly fight them and win. don't know the answer, but it's infuriating to say the least! I guess it's part of the big plan to keep Jack Daniels in business and doing well!
regards,
dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At least with the car dealerships if the big three get complaints they pull points from the dealers ratings. It's a process but it does hurt them. From what I saw today MC dealers have no consequence for this type of mistake.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,854 Posts
Winged, not sure about points for the stealers, but our local stealer has been a friend of mine for years, and believe me, they are on him like a rash from MOCO.

Dave, you have me ready for one of those glasses of that famous Cajun whiskey, Jacques Danyahl.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kd All I know is when I called Corporate they told me flat out all they do is call them and let them know there was a complaint.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,854 Posts
Kd All I know is when I called Corporate they told me flat out all they do is call them and let them know there was a complaint.
Not sure that MOCO has much to do with the actual titles and that process, but I have seen them lower the boom on some dealers on some issues.
BTW, very glad you got your issue straightened out without having one of those complications you mentioned. That might have made a seriously interesting case in court.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Wife kept telling me I was being too nice but I didn't want to get too aggressive and watch them slow the process down anymore than it already was. In my opinion it was just terrible customer service. They had their money for the bike and basically seemed like they just worked on my problem when I called and reminded them.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
winged-
hope it's all straightened out for you. just glad that so far I've had no such problem with the local dealer. they've been very accomidating.
and....KD-however YOU pronounce the name of the whiskey-CHEERS!
regards,
dave

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Had dang near same thing happen to me

They caught it before I picked up the bike

But process was already done and ready to go

They took a few weeks to get things right

It was a mess

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We have a half dozen Dealers in the Metro Detroit area. So far I've had bad experiences with 2. You would think that when a person walks in to spend thousands of dollars the ass-kissin would last longer than it takes you to ride away with a machine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Unfortunately...this is how hd corporate operates and it comes down through the ranks of minions who "work" there...
I had two obvious warranty issues they tried to make me pay for...I had a "professional" discussion with them about what was about to happen TO THEM...legally and in the news...then they agreed to meet Their obligations...
My brother, brand new bike, two cranks go in less than one thousand miles, then the third goes in another two hundred miles and they tell him "that there never was anything wrong, so they are not going to do anything more for him...
He makes one phone call to his lawyer and they rebuilt it with screaming eagle parts and give him an extended warranty...

Another buddy, New bike , rear fender splits right down the manufacturing seem in less than one thousand miles...dealer tells him he doesn't think it's covered under warranty...??? Your what hurts???

I swear they try to see if the Customer is stupid first...

Love my rocker, but would never invest in any products or services from the current hd corporation, ever again...

Go Indian!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts