Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone using their crash bars as an oil cooler? I am thinking about trying this mod, apparently it only costs about $50 to do this. Basically the oil flows in one side of the crash bar and out the other side, using it to cool the oil down. I have heard of this being done and just found a discussion about it on another forum. Apparently they are saying it works better than the standard oil coolers. Just curious if anyone has tried this and what they have found. I just back from a ride on the 07 Road Glide and it got up to 240 F degrees, thank God I have those Kuryakyn nut shields on, they really do work, cause I didn't even notice how hot it was. It used to burn my thighs before I put them on, but I am still worried this thing will over heat when summer gets here.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
A little gal pulled out in front of me back in '05.

Crash bar bent and busted when I t-boned her.

Can't imagine all that hot oil all over me to add insult to injury.

Not to mention burns to places I don't even want to think about.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only question would be 240 degrees in the crash bar where or your feet going ?
That is a good question, one that I was wondering about myself.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Instead of making into an oil cooler make it into a compressed air storage for emergency tire repairs.

·
Large Member
173 Posts
I've got a B engine and it already has the holes tapped and plugged.
Don't you have to change the oil filter adapter for the oil cooler lines on yours?
I don't see how using the highway bar will reduce the oil temp when sitting,by more than couple a few degrees without fins.I've always heard it was for the added 1 qt of capacity.With the bar being used for capacity and one of the V shaped coolers in front,I believe you'll get a significant decrease in cruising temp,it won't do much at stops,maybe get another minute of idling from the capacity before you feel like a hotdog.
Unless your just looking for cruising comfort you aint gonna hurt an air cooled engine running high temps w a good grade of synthetic oil in it.Mine got real hot once in traffic and it started loping at idle,this was w dyno oil.I have Amsoil in it and have been in the same scenerio without a problem.

Think you're gonna hurt an air cooled engine? Go fire up your lawnmower and let it sit and run at half throttle for an hour,I'll bet nothing happens to it no matter what oil is in it!

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I've got a B engine and it already has the holes tapped and plugged.
Don't you have to change the oil filter adapter for the oil cooler lines on yours?
I don't see how using the highway bar will reduce the oil temp when sitting,by more than couple a few degrees without fins.I've always heard it was for the added 1 qt of capacity.With the bar being used for capacity and one of the V shaped coolers in front,I believe you'll get a significant decrease in cruising temp,it won't do much at stops,maybe get another minute of idling from the capacity before you feel like a hotdog.
Unless your just looking for cruising comfort you aint gonna hurt an air cooled engine running high temps w a good grade of synthetic oil in it.Mine got real hot once in traffic and it started loping at idle,this was w dyno oil.I have Amsoil in it and have been in the same scenerio without a problem.

Think you're gonna hurt an air cooled engine? Go fire up your lawnmower and let it sit and run at half throttle for an hour,I'll bet nothing happens to it no matter what oil is in it!

As in "father of the Princess, recent vote, etc"? That TC 88?

·
Registered
4 Posts
the problem with that theory is the fins on the flywheel of a lawnmower move enough air around it to cool the motor enough. Ever wonder why you can mow for hours at a time without the motor blowing up? its not like the mower moves fast enough for the wind to cool it down...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My lawnmower is water cooled. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts