Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Road King Classic that I installed the nostalgic bag rails on. I recently changed to hard bags, so I had to change the bag rails, also. Both times I installed the rails, the tend to be crooked. They raise up about 1/2' to 3/4" from the front to the rear. Does anyone know how to level them out? Tried everything.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jerryjoker,

I didn't realize the classic saddle bags can be swapped for new hard saddlebags. I am torn between the classic and the standard but if I could swap bags it'd be a nice option. Sorry, I don't know enough to help with the leveling problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swap Bags

Hey Sail,
I kept the leather bags, but the hard bags are much better. They cost a pretty penny to paint, but well worth it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Were the rails HD OEM ones of the cheap knock offs from Ebay? That may be the problem. The leather and painted bags are interchangeable all you do is have to remove the rear mount where the dudz fastner connects and move the shim on the bolt from one side to the other.

I have three classics prior to the FLHR and hated the leather bags, you cant get them wet , you can not lock them (easily stolen) and come brand new from HD with blems in the leather. They just plain do not hold up.

I liked the leather bags off a RK custom as at least they had a button on the back out of sight. Hard bags are the way to go if you plan to ever lock stuff in your bike. With the leather bags if the theif finds nothing to steal in the bags he will just steal the bags themselves.

There are afteremarket locks available for the RKC leather bags but add that to the cost of the bags and you might as well get the waterproof, locking painted bags......

I have a Road King Classic that I installed the nostalgic bag rails on. I recently changed to hard bags, so I had to change the bag rails, also. Both times I installed the rails, the tend to be crooked. They raise up about 1/2' to 3/4" from the front to the rear. Does anyone know how to level them out? Tried everything.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the leather RKC bags and love them,I took the rails off of them and used the ones from the FLHX.I also have locks from Intertiawrxc.com and they are great..I am not sure of the rails in which you speak ,can you post a pic.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hmm looks like that lock only locks the fron part of the lid of the bag? Would it stop someone from lifting the back on the lid and putting paw in?

I think if you want to go with the leather bags I would stick with the ones off a Road King Custom as there latch assy is at least in the middle of the lid and the button to open is on the back side of the bag. I think that they made a lock assy for the custom bags also and there lids close somewhat better.

On my past RKC I had the snap break on the lather buckle and one pull out plus the blems in the leather from the factory when new. The leather custom bags seem better built.

Just a example
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Roadking-Custom-Saddlebags_W0QQitemZ140276020818QQihZ004QQcategoryZ84146QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have the leather RKC bags and love them,I took the rails off of them and used the ones from the FLHX.I also have locks from Intertiawrxc.com and they are great..I am not sure of the rails in which you speak ,can you post a pic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leather Bag Locks

Before going with the hard bags, I also added locke to the leather classic bags from Inertiawrx. They worked great, but one side was a total pain in the butt to close, and lock. Not worth the hassle. Hard bags are the way to go.
Also my rails are OEM from HD. They don't appear to be bent, but just will not mount up straight. Tried everything.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Straight from looking at the rear of the bike or from the sides? If from the sides (I'm just guessing here) perhaps that the crash guards are a little different between the standard and the classic. Or even the lower mounting bar under the bag.

I only swapped out the 03 Serk hard bags with the bags off a RK Custom which I had no problem with..

If from the rear you can adjust the up and down by loosening the two mounting bolts that hold the lower rail that holds the bottom of the bag.

Wise decision with the hard bags as I know from experiance that those stock leather ones are junk, I like how HD sells them new with blems in the leather and just puts a disclaimer in that they are sold with blems........

I wonder how that would fly if you were buying one of there leather jackets............

Before going with the hard bags, I also added locke to the leather classic bags from Inertiawrx. They worked great, but one side was a total pain in the butt to close, and lock. Not worth the hassle. Hard bags are the way to go.
Also my rails are OEM from HD. They don't appear to be bent, but just will not mount up straight. Tried everything.

·
Road Glide
348 Posts
I put a set of rear engine / crash bars on my Road Glide so had the change the rails. The right side wouldn't line up but eventually with a length of 2x2 I got it to all line up

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only solution is to make damn sure they are mounted correctly and then take a wooden 2x4 and gently use it as a pry bar to get them aligned perfectly. I had one of mine off 3 times. Each time I would wiggle it and tighten it, to no avial. This is about the same procedure that a body man uses to align automotive doors sometimes. A block of wood and a little Armstrong go along way, just go slow and remember it is easier to bend a little more than it is to take some away. As long as we aren't talking anything over 1/16 to an 1/8", you should be good to go. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts