Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mountain Rider
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am calling it cross country but not sure if we will actually hit California at any time. We may, or may not. Lot is still up in the air so we can decide as we go. But, we are leaving eastern NC in August and yes, we will go by Sturgis but AFTER all the big crowds have left. Some of the places on my list are "Million Dollar Highway" in Colorado, Bryce Canyon in Utah (Grand Canyon close too), Jackson Hole, WY, Yellowstone, and Mount Rushmore. Probably going to take 3 weeks or more. I was looking around yesterday and found this video and it is AWESOME! This is one road that is on my list for sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BamnnJqsKc

I have never been out west before AT ALL and the scenery in this video just blows me away. Retired now and this is top of my "list". Looks like around 7500 miles give or take, round trip.

:biker:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also live in NC and did a xcountry trip last year, 11K miles on a 14 Limited, best ride ever. Enjoy the ride

·
Mountain Rider
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also live in NC and did a xcountry trip last year, 11K miles on a 14 Limited, best ride ever. Enjoy the ride
Wow! Did you ride by yourself or did you go with some buddies? I am going with 2 other guys and both of them have done it before. How long were you gone?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
Snus, enjoy the ride. I have ridden out there several times, and usually after a month, we get tired and head for the house, but there is a ton of stuff to see, and some roads that will really test you. Be careful of Utah. You may never want to leave. There are a lot of gorgeous sights there.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Since you will be at Mt. Rushmore, consider riding thru Custer State Park, especially the "wildlife loop", just south of Rushmore. It costs a few $$ but was one of the most fun rides we did.
Smart decision to hit Sturgis after the rally.

·
Mountain Rider
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you will be at Mt. Rushmore, consider riding thru Custer State Park, especially the "wildlife loop", just south of Rushmore. It costs a few $$ but was one of the most fun rides we did.
Smart decision to hit Sturgis after the rally.
Snus, enjoy the ride. I have ridden out there several times, and usually after a month, we get tired and head for the house, but there is a ton of stuff to see, and some roads that will really test you. Be careful of Utah. You may never want to leave. There are a lot of gorgeous sights there.
I am guessing I will have my fill after a month or less KD. I do intend to go to the Custer State Park Breeze. Looking forward to it.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
That will take a bit more than three weeks, especially if you stop and see all those sites. Still, awesome trip and fantastic ride!
Guy, that's one of the good things about being retired (and divorced) is not having to worry about how long it's going to take to get to all of the planned places plus the ones you discover along the way.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
If you make it to northern Wyoming you should try and ride Beartooth Pass and the Chief Joseph Highway over Dead Indian Pass. Both can be ridden the same day.
Totally worth it.
Have fun.

·
CVFFCV
112 Posts
Sounds fun, the woman and I were talking about doing a "tour of the west" of sorts, hitting up some of the big landmarks, but decided we're just gonna take about 10 days and head to NC to ride some of the roads we enjoyed last time we were there. After we're done in the mountains, we'll head to the coast to say hi to my grandparents, then up to DC to flip our elected officials the bird and visit the war memorials, Stevensville MD to see the PRS factory (I'm a PRS guitar nut), Gettysburg, then home going through the UP and down.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You'll love it Snus. I rode it back in 86 with another couple. Was my first time out west on the bike. A guy I work with and I are going out to Sturgis this year. We'll be leaving mid-week so we'll be getting into Sturgis late. We'll be taking our time coming back but Wyoming is as far west as we'll have time to go. Rushmore, the Badlands, and Devils Tower are on my list for this trip along with the Harley Factory tour if we can manage it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Guy, that's one of the good things about being retired (and divorced) is not having to worry about how long it's going to take to get to all of the planned places plus the ones you discover along the way.

Got that! Wife doesn't want to hear about any long trips right now. Leaving her alone for almost three weeks was about the limit of what she'll allow.

;-)

·
Mountain Rider
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:thumbsup:thumbsup
:biker:

·
Mountain Rider
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys for all the well wishes and good luck thrown my way. I will have fun I am sure. I actually met with the other 3 guys for lunch this week and we talked a lot about how a typical day might be and how we all are flexible and should be able to get along for 3 weeks or more. I think we are all friends and have ridden together a lot... except for 1 guy and he seems fine too. Nobody should get bent out of shape over anything I am guessing. I figure by the time we get back we will all be best buds or hating each other, LOL!

·
Mountain Rider
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you make it to northern Wyoming you should try and ride Beartooth Pass and the Chief Joseph Highway over Dead Indian Pass. Both can be ridden the same day.
Totally worth it.
Have fun.
Well we did make it to Wyoming, stayed in Cody for a couple of days and we did ride the Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass. Ate lunch that day in Red Lodge MT. Awesome day! Thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I went the other way from az to laconia, new Hampshire, first time east, 33 days 8300 miles, did it in june lots of rain but beautiful trip

·
Guitarslinger
3,334 Posts
so how was the trip, ? DETAILS man we need details !!!

Reactions: Snuskeeter
1 - 20 of 24 Posts