Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,996 Posts
1st off roll off the throttle to disengage. Do you have brake lights for both brakes. Most find one brake pressure switch that triggers circuit is not working correctly

·
Registered
144 Posts
My '16 RK has CC, and I like it...comes in handy for setting a smoother, steady ride, for the wife on her '16 883, and keep my throttle hand from "buzzing". But since it is an issue with some, I'll be sure and remain cognitive about it. By the way, my RK has about 13.5K on the clock...so, if mileage lends itself to the problem, let me know at what mileage to be made aware of in predicting this issue.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,996 Posts
I gotta add it in again if you're running cruise and you are in heavy traffic roll off throttle ride the old fashion way till safe to go back to cruise. I see to many with feet propped up on highway pegs not prepared for anything in a instant and following to close.

I am always amazed at reaction time of students when we're doing quick stop or swerve exercises.

·
Registered
2007 Ultra Classic (Sophie) vivid black
275 Posts
I rarely use the CC just because the roads I'm on have too many places where people can pull out or turn in front of me. I used it some on the slab taking a trip, but only when I was outside of cities.
I just prefer to have instant control when traffic is unpredictable.
My girlfriend expects me to come home alive every day so I do my best to stack the deck in my favor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My '16 RK has CC, and I like it...comes in handy for setting a smoother, steady ride, for the wife on her '16 883, and keep my throttle hand from "buzzing". But since it is an issue with some, I'll be sure and remain cognitive about it. By the way, my RK has about 13.5K on the clock...so, if mileage lends itself to the problem, let me know at what mileage to be made aware of in predicting this issue.
Greetings from Nova Scotia.
My 16 RK has close to 90,000 klm on it and have never had any issues with cruise control. I wouldn’t go by anyones suggestion of when problems may arise. Enjoy the ride and just be ready to deal with possible failure of brakes, tires, engine, driving conditions, etc. You may never have issues with any of these things. Better to plan a ride than possible possible issues. Safe riding!

·
Registered
213 Posts
One issue with CC is that it will over speed the drive wheel if it hits a patch of little or no traction. Ex-wife spun her car around when it hit a patch of glare ice while CC was engaged. Now, I don't use CC in marginal traction conditions.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
2007 Ultra is still cable from throttle and cruise module.
I would be inspecting the cruise module cable connection on the right side of the throttle body. Inspect the cable connection where the throttle and idle cables are located. Need to remove the air cleaner and back plate for inspection.
I think this might be a mechanical rather than electrical issue, hence no codes.
I think you are spot on. Same thing happen to a buddy of mine on a 08 I think it is. Kept staying engaged he even killed the rocker and it stayed going. We tore it apart and his cable from module was rusted and gunked up And stayed engaged. I really don’t like CC or anti lock brakes. But I have em and use em. Idk just the old school in me I guess. Seems like bikes are just getting more crap they don’t need every year. I ant getting rid of my cup holder tho lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
You have established the lane, hence right of way.
That means merging traffic has to yield to you.

Cruise controls are made by the same ilk who put a man on the moon.
Cruise controls know these things.

Relax and let the cruise control do what it do.

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
All the handlebar switches can be tested using the radio diagnostics controls.
I'd like to be able to view the brake switches too. On my 2008 Yamaha FJR, I can do everything including firing the fuel injectors and ignition coils through the instrument cluster but know nothing about how HD's system works. I found the thing in the link and thought it would be cool to pull out my phone and check everything right then and there,
I know I need an electrical manual but haven't found one specifically for my bike, a 2012 Road King.

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
I was checking their website to see what the units cost but it wasn't mentioned.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was checking their website to see what the units cost but it wasn't mentioned.
$200 and about $10 for shipping. You hit the "shop now" tab and the prices come up.
I was hoping someone here had used these and could tell their experience with it because I'm not into spending money without input from actual customers.

They just sent me a list of everything that can be viewed, looks like it does a lot but still don't see the CC switches on the list:

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
You probably won't see the switch tests on those, the Scanalyzer doesn't do switch tests either, everything else tho except the BCM. Like I said the radio diagnostics does the switch tests, simple go no go tests.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You probably won't see the switch tests on those, the Scanalyzer doesn't do switch tests either, everything else tho except the BCM. Like I said the radio diagnostics does the switch tests, simple go no go tests.
The turn signal switches are on the list as well as clutch and brake switches.
Can you do "radio diagnostics" on a bike without a radio?

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,651 Posts
I had my cruise on my 04 stick on once. Was a pucker moment cause I never practiced for it. I blamed it on trying to set it above 85 mph which it will not do.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts