Harley Davidson Forums banner

Cruise Control

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  DiamondLil 
#1 ·
Do you like it, dislike it, which you had it, have it but never use it?

Two cautions about using it in a car are to avoid it in inclement weather and when you are tired or fatigued. Are there others for when you are motorcycling?

#2 ·
It's useless outside the US. We don't have any long straight roads free of traffic.

I have it on all my cars and never use it.

Wouldn't touch it on a bike - Jeez - if I wanted the bike to do the driving I'd rent an aircraft:D

#3 ·
if i had cruise, it would be used only on flat strait areas to give my right hand a break for just a few seconds. But, with my luck, it would be just one more thing that could/would go wrong/fail.

#5 ·
I use the little screw on the bottom of the grips to just rest my hand a bit but I don't think I would have a need for a true cruise control.

#12 ·
Yes for the car - keeps the LEO away.

On the bike, I prefer having total control (surprise, surprise). Fortunately, I don't have a problem with my hands getting tired/cramping/etc.

The BF has a throttle rocker thingy and I can't stand it... have to take it off whenever I ride his bike.

#13 ·
I just use the factory throttle lock on the highways. Just enough tension to keep it put while still allowing adjustment of the throttle. Not much movement of the throttle is needed to maintain speed while ascending/descending hills, about 1/8".

#15 ·
:eek::eek:Spoke to so, went for a ride today, set the cruise to work the hand. Go to take it off and couldn't kick it off with the throttle :confused:turned it off by control button. Then the thing started running with a miss, got worse as the day went on. Taking it to the shop on the next ride for a check up.
Anyone else have problem like this????? Or could this be operator error????

#16 ·
To date I don't have the problem. Well, actually I wouldn't know. For some reason it just doesn't seem right to use cruise control where 99% of my riding gets done. Add to that the thought of it allowing me to become a bit complacent behind the handlebars is frightening. I couldn't even tell you if it works. Maybe checking that out before the warranty runs out would be the smart thinkg to do.
To those who do use it have you ever found yourself drifting off, attention-wise?

#17 ·
Believe it or not it is the opposite. It's only in ideal conditions so it's not that often. When I ride with no hands I am even more attentive to everything (on edge you might say). It is not to showoff at all. It is to give my arms a break so I dont have to stop to do so. It is only for 30 seconds or so with me and then I'm good for another 75 miles. I also feel it helps me understand my machine that much more, which is always a good thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.