Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, I need some assistance please. I have a 2004 Electra Guide Ultra Classic. I have the following problem with the cruise control. Without setting the rocker switch onto cruise control the red cruise control light comes on the speed ometer and some times the red light then changes to the green cruise control light. Also the cruise control does not work.
Any assistance would be great please as to where to find the fault and begin to repair.

Regards

Tony

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tony, not sure how much technical help you can get on erratic electrical issues, but it's good policy to introduce yourself first, then do a search to see if this has been addressed before.

I haven't been here that long myself, but if you need an answer about a Harley issue, this is definitely the place to be. VERY knowledgeable group here.

ken

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
If you have custom grips on the bars loosen both switch housings and check for pinched wires. Also check the idle cable cruise switch at the right fork neck, make sure it moves when rolling the throttle full forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tony, not sure how much technical help you can get on erratic electrical issues, but it's good policy to introduce yourself first, then do a search to see if this has been addressed before.

I haven't been here that long myself, but if you need an answer about a Harley issue, this is definitely the place to be. VERY knowledgeable group here.

ken
kEN THANKS FOR THAT, I WILL HAVE TO FIND WHERE I HAVE TO DO AN INTRODUCTION. ONLY SIGNED IN TODAY.

SAFE RIDING.

REGARDS

TONY FROM TH UK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken thanks for that. I will have to find where i make the introduction, as i only signed in today..... Safe riding.............. Tony from the uk

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,009 Posts
If you have custom grips on the bars loosen both switch housings and check for pinched wires. Also check the idle cable cruise switch at the right fork neck, make sure it moves when rolling the throttle full forward.
My old '04 had a similar problem....and had custom grips. Found the pinched wire just as Schmidty said. Never missed a beat after that was fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Morning guys, especially to you good folks who came to my aid instantly. What I can't get my head around is that the red and green cruise control indicator lights intermitantly flash on the speed ometer without the Cruise Control rocker switch being turned on. How on earth does that happen ?

Tony

·
Retired citizen
22,068 Posts
Just remove both the clutch lever perch and the front brake master cylinder clamp. That's usually where the wires get pinched when custom grips get installed. Sometimes the pinched wires show up right away and then other times it takes a while for the wires to wear through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This makes sense at the moment Schmidtys as last year I had to change the audio system mode switch which is located next to the cruise control switch on the right handle bar housing, I may have pinched the wires then. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts