Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full Disclosure: I'm from Wilmington, NC. Never been to NYC before.

Regardless, I thought a cool idea would be to have a 4 day weekend ride up north, stopping at the various Harley shops along the way, on up to NYC to cruise the 5 boroughs, and then come on back home.

I've had some people tell me that's a great idea and I've had some, including a fire fighter from NYC, tell me I have a death wish. There is a video of some dude cruising NYC on his Road King.

So, New Yorker members of the forum, what say you? Good idea? Bad idea? Need my head examined?

JamesNT

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I can think of NO reason to do this....

·
Hard Member
3,240 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Rode through there once never again!! Either those people suck at driving or want to kill you either way it's not a place for bikes. I was just riding through wasn't even staying. Go to anyplace but near that city.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i hated every minute of it in a car- no way in hell im doing it on a bike a trike a skateboard a unicycle a little red wagon or anything that isnt a cage

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
As a fellow rider, whadaya thinkin?:loco If you don't have that NYC mentality, don't go there. This is not to offend our forum brothers and sisters from NYC, but you have to know the ins and outs of that place and why when they go cruisin, it ain't in the city.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
There is no chance in hell that I would go there willingly on a motorcycle. Much less a car. Or at all.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
did your wife whisper this idea in your ear? has she recently increased your life insurance policy? has she offered to look at the brakes on your bike and fix them if necessary?

just wonderin

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
NYC is an awesome place to visit as long as you don't have your own wheels. Paying for parking and dealing with traffic is a nightmare. If you want to go for a ride, go for a ride. If you want to visit NYC, visit NYC. But do not combine the two.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like my mind has been changed for me.

Of course, one has to wonder how one of the supposedly most wonderful cities in the US has allowed itself to turn into such a hell hole.

JamesNT

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts

Of course, one has to wonder how one of the supposedly most wonderful cities in the US has allowed itself to turn into such a hell hole.

JamesNT
I wouldn't call it a hell hole. NYC is an international destination because of its restaurants, galleries, shows, concerts, neighborhoods, diversity, etc. Just because a place isn't good for riding doesn't mean it isn't good for anything else.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

JamesNT
as a central ny tax payer i agree- its a hell hole that sucks away my tax's - as for a city its just a crap hole

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I wouldn't call it a hell hole. NYC is an international destination because of its restaurants, galleries, shows, concerts, neighborhoods, diversity, etc. Just because a place isn't good for riding doesn't mean it isn't good for anything else.

My Misses family is from NYC. We have gone several times to visit. Every time we went, we straight to their house and parked our vehicle and used the transit system or walked.

Getting to her relitaves home was the worst problem of the whole trip. Once there, it was a great visit. I was fortunate enough to go to the Twin Towers before 9\11 and we went back a few years ago to visit the memorial also.

Last year my sister in law had surgery for colon cancer and her worthless pos of a husband wouldn't do anything for her. Once my wife finally told me of this we asked her if she wanted to leave him and come to Tennessee...

Now she's happy and doing much better and I have zero reason to travel to NYC ever again!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Born and raised in NYC and live in a close suburb now. During the day and much of the evening there is no such thing as relaxed cruising in NYC. If you're not use to NYC traffic you better be in survival mode in a car; on a motorcycle a have a death wish.

The exception would be a very early morning start (4:00 - 5:00 am) before traffic starts building for the A.M. rush. I could see making the trip through Staten Island, across the Verrazano Bridge to the Belt Parkway through Brooklyn and Queens to the Cross Island Parkway to the Throgs Neck Bridge through the Bronx and Upper Manhattan then south on the West Side Highway to the Lincoln Tunnel to New Jersey in 90 minutes.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't mind driving in NYC but if I do I prefer driving a rental. No desire to be on a bike there. When we go down with the RV there is a parking lot for RVs across the river. We park it and then take the ferry or subway in. No need to drive in the city.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
NYC is not a 'hell hole' at all. There are tons of things to do and see there.

As for 'cruising the 5 boroughs, I doubt that would be something that you could do
with any enjoyment on a bike. That's a lot of real estate to cover, not to mention all the
tolls you'll need to pay. The only way to get to Manhattan (it's an island) is via a bridge, tunnel, or ferry. They all are tolled.

I live in NJ, only a 25 minute drive from NYC. I have ridden in the city but it's not a pleasant, relaxing experience. It's not for the faint of heart.

I would recommend that if you really want to see NYC that you leave your bike outside the city and use public transit. There are 100's of trains, buses, etc to get you into the city and the subway to get around the city.

I will offer this: If you'd like, you can leave your bike(s) in my garage. I'll be happy to take you to the train which is only 4 miles away. It's a 30 minute ride into mid town Manhattan.

·
Registered
12,005 Posts
Born in NYC, great back in the day. Now its way too crowded. Like CaliBob and few others said. Not a place to ride unless you learned to drive there from day one. Great place to visit but you don't want drive there. Take the subway, go any where you want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts