Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here but turning wrenches on Harleys for a while. Never had a newer bike and recently bought a bank repo '12 Ultra Classic.

It's a stock 103" and I removed the baffle and de-catted it. Installed a V/H naked VO2 and a set of Xied's. Happy with the instant improvement I'm getting but it just seems hollow in the sound. Wanting it deeper sound and looking at the V/H slash cuts. Is the problem from the factory slip on's and will the aftermarkets do that?

Also got the engine noise that I've read about in some of the newer 103's. Not afraid to tear it down and know it's from the front cylinder. Been building engines from marine diesels, to drag motors to weed wackers my entire life but never a big V-twin and just looking for directions on what I'm looking for. Thanks for any directions y'all can point me in.

·
Registered
526 Posts
New here but turning wrenches on Harleys for a while. Never had a newer bike and recently bought a bank repo '12 Ultra Classic.

It's a stock 103" and I removed the baffle and de-catted it. Installed a V/H naked VO2 and a set of Xied's. Happy with the instant improvement I'm getting but it just seems hollow in the sound. Wanting it deeper sound and looking at the V/H slash cuts. Is the problem from the factory slip on's and will the aftermarkets do that?

Also got the engine noise that I've read about in some of the newer 103's. Not afraid to tear it down and know it's from the front cylinder. Been building engines from marine diesels, to drag motors to weed wackers my entire life but never a big V-twin and just looking for directions on what I'm looking for. Thanks for any directions y'all can point me in.
As far as the V&H Slash Cuts are concerned, I installed them on my Dyna Street Bob (103 engine) with the quiet baffles and I like the sound. Loud enough to be noticed but no so loud that you'll have ear pain after an hours ride (my experience with the V&H Straight Shots without the quiet baffles). If you'd like to take a listen there is a video on YouTube of the stock versus V&H at idle, revving, doing a couple of drive byes and from the riders perspective...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlJsaFY2b4w

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's for the feedback Paul and 2001, just read that thread in the engine section. Looks like a good starting point in addition to checking out the rockers and pushrods.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
If the ticking noise is determined to be the lifters, and usually is, the we replace the Made in Mexico lifters with top quality S&S lifters, with their pushrods, setting the preload at .140".
The proper oil viscosity for your ambient air temps, which is stated in the factory service manual, will aid in quiet engine operation as well.
Scott

·
Registered
222 Posts
S&S is shorthand for Quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ticking (tapping) is all time or just in some range of RPM. Loots of Big Twin have same symptoms after awhile. My last 2 bikes have those symptoms between 2000-2200RPM. Even roadking which I have right now have those taping. I meet experience mechanic and he open my eyes. He told me a story a guys who was so desperate to find those tapping noise and he did. That was so annoying for him so he open engine and he start replacing parts by parts and tapping didnt go away.

Finally He found out those taping noise was from Rocker shaft. Bolts which hold support plates down are supposed to engage the notches in the shafts & lock them in place, but holes are to big. The shaft rock bar & forth, and slide side to side smacking against the bolts at high speed
He eliminate tapping via putting inserts for take up those extra room & hold the Shafts firmly in place, eliminating the problem.

Right now he start selling KITS for with those inserts. I got one from mechanic and I will be putting when I will do some mod with engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13-qLAnvlro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wh10CAZvEg&feature=youtu.be
http://www.rockout.biz/

KIT Price only $15

Have a good day
cheers

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
After installation, how do you get the shaft off? Especially in the video they didn't install the rockers first.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input, determined mine was the rocker shaft in the front cylinder. Ordered the rocker lockers along with S & S forged rockers, adjustable push rods and rocker shafts. Will be installing this weekend after turkey day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts