Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered frequently and any thinking, considerate rider would know enough to use the search feature, get their answers and ride on.
But.
Technology changes. Experience is gained, changing viewpoints.
Options that weren't available 10 months ago are available now.
I have a 1998 Road Glide. I've ordered Race Tech front springs and gold cartridge simulator for the forks. I went with these because I have them in three other bikes. I have some experience with tweaking them.
At a loss for rear shock upgrades. I'm not finding a list of the top 5 shock upgrades printed anywhere.
I'm looking for bang for the buck. Me nor my bikes will ever see a track day again.
I'm tame in the straight aways and ride beyond my skill level in the twisties.
Is the performance improvement of the $600-$900 shocks worth the outlay?
What sets Legend above, say, Progressive 444's?
I'm a day tripper. 70% 1 up.
Weigh in at 180.
I'd really like not going through 5 shocks to find the right one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So this is what I learned, an this is what I already knew.
It's hard to find objectivity with the majority of motorcycle enthusiasts. They know about what they spent their money on, and defensively justify their outlay.
Few live in a world where they are open to all information, always looking for improvement of what they have. More often we proceed as if the often expensive experimentation of finding the best has become a "one and done" proposition.
I put my first Ohlins on a 1992 BMW GS I ordered new. There weren't many options then, and the option that was available changed the riding game for me.
I've read and asked questions of suspension professionals how I might go to get a few more miles a day with a little more confidence out of this garage queen I have.
My conclsion: any of the $6-900.00 performance shocks marketed will produce an inhanced ride over stock shocks. The rider that can decern if a dime is heads or tails by driving over it on a 750 lb motorcycle may appreciate an even higher quality shock.
I don't fall into the latter category.
I ordered the Pro Actions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered frequently and any thinking, considerate rider would know enough to use the search feature, get their answers and ride on.
But.
I have a 1998 Road Glide. I've ordered Race Tech front springs and gold cartridge simulator for the forks. I went with these because I have them in three other bikes. I have some experience with tweaking them.
At a loss for rear shock upgrades. I'm not finding a list of the top 5 shock upgrades printed anywhere.
I'm looking for bang for the buck. Me nor my bikes will ever see a track day again.
Weigh in at 180.
-
I have 2015 street glide I just put 944 progresive shocks on rear they made a big differene

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
It's hard to find objectivity with the majority of motorcycle enthusiasts. They know about what they spent their money on, and defensively justify their outlay.
That is a fact!

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
2 Posts
But.
Weigh in at 180.
I have owned the progressive and legends. I enjoy the legends. The guys are great to work with and actually answer your messages.

·
Registered
44,255 Posts
I have owned the progressive and legends. I enjoy the legends. The guys are great to work with and actually answer your messages.
Yup. They came to one of the local dealerships here to do an install and Q&A session. One of them gave me his business card with cell phone number on it and said if I ever had any questions to give him a call.

Reactions: JoeMac and tekslk

·
Registered
3 Posts
But.
Weigh in at 180.
I am by far, no expert. But for my 18 RK I went with Super shox and have been very happy with them. Had an air ride suspension on my 12 heritage that I miss, but wasn't cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts